Linguaholic

What methods do you use to help you remember?

Daimashin

People have different methods that help them to remember words and meanings when learning a language. When I was studying Chinese, I used to chew gums when memorising. The rhythm of chewing actually helped me to remember the words better. Is there a habit that you do when studying that can help you learn better?

I tend to visualize the words in my mind when I'm learning a language. I feel that doing so allows me to remember words better by associating them with visual images.

I also find that my mind is clearer after a quick run outside, which certainly helps in learning a language. I guess you can say it's a habit of mine.

One of the methods I use that helped me a lot was to start my lessons in the mornings. I don't know if it's the same for the majority, but I suspect it is since our minds are a lot fresher in the mornings and having that definitely helps in soaking up as much information as possible. I assume it's the same reason why it feels so good to read the news in the mornings too.

People have different methods that help them to remember words and meanings when learning a language. When I was studying Chinese, I used to chew gums when memorising. The rhythm of chewing actually helped me to remember the words better. Is there a habit that you do when studying that can help you learn better?

That sounds weird. But if you say so...I should give it a try before calling it weird though. I usually just cram information. I know I have a photographic pictorial mind, so once I see it I will remember it. That's just me.

One of the methods I use that helped me a lot was to start my lessons in the mornings. I don't know if it's the same for the majority, but I suspect it is since our minds are a lot fresher in the mornings and having that definitely helps in soaking up as much information as possible. I assume it's the same reason why it feels so good to read the news in the mornings too.

What you say is true. In the mornings our brains are fresher and rejuvenated. I do however, prefer to study in the nights. I find that when I do this, I go to bed and actually dream about or go over whatsoever I studied before going to bed. So...all I need to do really is just to revise in the mornings. It works for everyone I'm sure.

I don't have any method. I just remember when I want to remember.

Now...that's just boring. I was hoping you would share with us any helpful strategy. If it's even a strategy that you know someone else employs. Don't be so dull my friend. Inform us.

I tend to visualize the words in my mind when I'm learning a language. I feel that doing so allows me to remember words better by associating them with visual images.

I also find that my mind is clearer after a quick run outside, which certainly helps in learning a language. I guess you can say it's a habit of mine.

A quick run is good. What I am sure about is the fact that the brain operates by blood flow to and from it. If we exercise, we are actually increasing the flow of blood to the brain. Therefore, adequate oxygen will go to the brain, which will then aid in remembering things.

That sounds weird. But if you say so...I should give it a try before calling it weird though. I usually just cram information. I know I have a photographic pictorial mind, so once I see it I will remember it. That's just me.

It's not that odd when you think about it actually. Chewing gum puts me in a cheerful mood. It also keeps my mind relaxed and keeps me focused on the subject matter. Most of the time when I read something, my brain itches to do something else and chewing gums do the trick.