Linguaholic

Need opinions. Thinking of making a smartwatch language-learning assistant

So I'm thinking of making an app for Android Wear smartwatches or the Apple Watch to help travelers learning local languages. Basically the app would integrate geolocation information with the language you select to learn about. When you raise your wrist to check the watch face, sometimes it will show interactive cards. For example, if you're in a restaurant and it's around lunch time, the cards might have things like the words for common food items in the foreign language. At other times, there may be cards like "Practice saying 'you're welcome'" or "Here's how to say 'I need a taxi'" or "Do you remember how to say 'where is the nearest restroom?'" [swipe to show answer] in the target language. How would you guys feel about an app like that? Do you think this app would be useful? stupid? good to try out? How would you want an app like this designed and structured?

Hey there

Your idea sounds great. However, programming this kind of app must be complex and time-consuming. Do you have any concrete plans on how you are going to program this? Which programme language are you going to choose? Well, this will depend on whether you are going to produce something for Android or iOS of course, but there are different ways to get this done, I guess.

It would be amazing to be able to learn languages according to where you are situated at a very specific moment. There must be some Apps that are going in this direction, right? Do you know of any similar projects? I'm really curious now :P

kind regards

Lingua