Linguaholic

Filipinos' fancy on using "Hugot Lines"

aira

I didn't know when it all started, but there suddenly came a boom on "hugot lines." For non-Filipinos out there, "hugot" is a verb, which means "to pull/ to draw out." So, by "hugot lines," it means that someone draws out certain emotions through something that he or she says. Some of these lines are witty, but they are tinged with emotions. That's "hugot line."

For example, in a scene by actor John Lloyd Cruz in the movie "One More Chance."

"She loved me at my worst. You had me at my best, but binalewala mo lang ang lahat (you took it all for granted).... And you chose to break my heart."

I recently watched the film "Heneral Luna," and the movie itself is filled with hugot lines. The hugot lines are not the cheesy ones flying around social media, but hugot lines that make you reflect. My recent favorite hugot line is by the Sublime Paralytic, Apolinario Mabini. The character asked, "Nasubukan mo na bang hulihin ang hangin? (Have you tried to catch the wind?)," which was a question he threw as answer to someone who asked on how to deal with the hot-tempered general. Another line was by the protagonist Antonio Luna, when he said, "Mas madali pang pagkasunduin ang langit at lupa kaysa dalawang Pilipino tungkol sa kahit na anong bagay (It's easier to bring heaven and earth together than for two Filipinos regarding anything)."

What are your favorite hugot lines?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really not into these hugot lines and Filipino movies as well. But don't judge me, okay? Hehehe. But when I watched the movie That Thing Called Tadhana, I could relate to every frame of it.

This is a line from the character Mace, played by Angelica Panganiban.. 

Naalala ko siya sa lahat. Sa ketchup, sa Coke, sa pastillas, sa yosi, Cebu, Bulacan, sa dahon ng malunggay…
Read more at http://www.mb.com.ph/hugot-pa-more-aching-hearts-and-memorable-lines/#7veSlbvZyPIYj70E.99

After she said this, I was like, "This is so me.."

Also another one is said by Anthony, played by JM De Guzman..

Bakit ba kayong mga mapeperang mga babae, ang hilig n’yong hinahanap ang sarili n’yo sa Baguio? Ba’t ba Baguio? Hindi ba pwedeng sa inuman na lang?

Funny how guys can have the confidence of saying this to you. <_<  

Anyways, so there, those are just the two hugot lines that captured me the most. I wanna hear more from the others as well. Because through these hugot lines, we can express our emotions more intensely and with sincerity.

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2015, 6:35:44, blikkael said:

I'm really not into these hugot lines and Filipino movies as well. But don't judge me, okay? Hehehe. But when I watched the movie That Thing Called Tadhana, I could relate to every frame of it.

This is a line from the character Mace, played by Angelica Panganiban.. 

After she said this, I was like, "This is so me.."

Also another one is said by Anthony, played by JM De Guzman..

Funny how guys can have the confidence of saying this to you. <_<  

Anyways, so there, those are just the two hugot lines that captured me the most. I wanna hear more from the others as well. Because through these hugot lines, we can express our emotions more intensely and with sincerity.

Oh! I love "That Thing Called Tadhana" too! I think it is one witty rom-com movie of the year! Though Mace and Anthony were just eating and talking for the most part of the story, their chemistry was nice. There were lots of hugot lines too. I also like the anecdote about the arrow and the heart. That was just so cute.

I recently do not like romantic hugot lines anymore, but Tadhana's hugot lines always get to me.

About Anthony's line on why women choose Baguio, that is just so witty! I mean, yeah, why Baguio? Is a woman's life lost in Baguio? That cracked me up. I like his frankness in the situation too.