Linguaholic

Celtic/Gaelic

I know this is a long shot, since many older languages are dying out, but how about some of the older United Kingdom languages?  I am really interested in learning Celtic and Gaelic.  I would also like to learn Welsh, especially with so many Welsh actors/actresses in Hollywood.  For the longest time, I had no idea how to pronounce "Ioan Gruffudd".

• 2 weeks later...

LOL I love your example. I didn't either, if that helps.

I have an interest in learning Gaelic, so I would be very excited to see this added so I could start poking at resources, even though I am personally not yet ready to pick up another language while working on the two I'm polishing.

Good luck with your learning!

• 4 weeks later...

I know there is a very sizable Irish Gaelic community on here (Gaeilge), but it would be nice to see some more Scottish Gaelic and Welsh, too.

Personally, I've found learngaelic.net a very handy resource for learning Scots Gaelic, as well as the memrise app. If you're looking for someone to write to, they do have a place called mylanguageexchange.com, that works like a penpal system with people looking for native speakers.

Always looking for more Gaelic enthusiasts, though! The more the merrier!

Buaidh gun robh leat!

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2015, 6:14:48, czarina84 said:

I know this is a long shot, since many older languages are dying out, but how about some of the older United Kingdom languages?  I am really interested in learning Celtic and Gaelic.  I would also like to learn Welsh, especially with so many Welsh actors/actresses in Hollywood.  For the longest time, I had no idea how to pronounce "Ioan Gruffudd".

Hi czarina84,

Are you requesting a sub-forum specifically for Celtic/Gaelic? I ask because this is the suggestions/requests thread. Anyway, it's not my call, but I don't think it would be very active. If you look under "other languages", I think there is only one post for Gaelic, and none for Celtic.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2015‎ ‎9‎:‎59‎:‎35‎, Wanda Kaishin said:

Hi czarina84,

Are you requesting a sub-forum specifically for Celtic/Gaelic? I ask because this is the suggestions/requests thread. Anyway, it's not my call, but I don't think it would be very active. If you look under "other languages", I think there is only one post for Gaelic, and none for Celtic.

I was originally asking for the subform, but then I noticed it under other languages a few days after.  Thank your for responding, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly the main problem with some languages and regional dialects is that there might not be enough posters to respond the many question we would like to make, or not many people interested in those specific regionalisms we could transmit.

However it's always nice to know that we can discuss about them under "Other languages" :)

• 8 months later...

If you're interested in Welsh, Cwrs Mynediad is a great phone app.  Here's the website: http://www.cwrsmynediad.com/
There are more resources on the Government of Wales' web page.  There is a strong push to revive the Welsh language in schools and across the country.  Reading some of the mythology is also a good introduction into the culture and some of the names and words.