Linguaholic

Krashen's input hypothesis (i+1)

Wanda Kaishin

I just posted this in another thread, and am curious to see what others think of this very famous language acquisition theory:

The Input hypothesis is Krashen's attempt to explain how the learner acquires a second language – how second language acquisition takes place. The Input hypothesis is only concerned with 'acquisition', not 'learning'. According to this hypothesis, the learner improves and progresses when he/she receives second language 'input' that is one step beyond his/her current stage of linguistic competence. For example, if a learner is at a stage 'i', then acquisition takes place when he/she is exposed to 'Comprehensible Input' that belongs to level 'i + 1'. We can then define 'Comprehensible Input' as the target language that the learner would not be able to produce but can still understand. It goes beyond the choice of words and involves presentation of context, explanation, rewording of unclear parts, the use of visual cues and meaning negotiation. The meaning successfully conveyed constitutes the learning experience.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

hmm , I think this might have to do with the fact that this kind of hypothesis is too technical for language learners. It sounds like a Math approach to language learning and often people who love studying languages are not very fond of Math :=) Kinda sounds like programming as well (this i + 1 thing).