Linguaholic

Italian idioms/ Frasi idiomatiche italiane

Mameha

I noticed that in this section there isn't a specific topic for italian idioms, so i decided to make one to the ones who are learning  my language or are just curious about it :).

Dormire sugli allori (lit. Rest on laurels): To recline, maybe on someone's shoulders.

Fare orecchie da mercante (lit. Make a deaf ear): To pretend not to hear something.

Essere un libro aperto per qualcuno (lit. To be an open book to someone): Not having secrets with someone

Cercare un ago in un pagliaio (lit. Look for a needle in a haystack): It's used when it's difficult to find something :D

Avere un diavolo per capello (lit. To have a devil for hair): to be particularly nervous or angry.

Gettare la spugna (lit. To throw the sponge): To give up.

Non tutte le ciambelle escono col buco (lit. Not all the donuts have a hole): Not everything turns out as it should

Salvarsi per un pelo (lit. To save yourself for a nap): Save yourself just in time, at the last minute.

Piovere sul bagnato (lit. Raining on the wet): It means that problems never come alone, when you already have a problems you could have another anyway,

Lavarsene le mani di qualcosa (lit. To wash your hands of something): not to care of something.

Non vedere l'ora (lit. Not to see the hour): To be impatient, not being able to wait something

Andare coi piedi di piombo (lit. To go on with lead's foot): it means to procede very cautious.

Avere fegato (lit. To have liver): To be very couragious, brave.

Avere la coda di paglia (lit. To have a straw's tail): It is used when someone tryes to justify himself without being accused, not having a clear conscience.

Bersi qualcosa (lit. To drink something): To believe something. Example---> Non mi bevo cio che hai detto (i don't drink the thing you said): I don't believe in what you said.

Bruciare le tappe (lit. To burn the stages): To go on on too fast (This is really used when someone procede too fast in a relationship)

I stop for now, but there are a lot of others interesting idioms that i will add another day. If you have some questions ask me. I hope this was helpful :)

Thanks for the thread, I'm really surprised just how many of these phrases are exactly the same in Russian! That's probably because they come from Latin, and Latin had huge influence on all the nations. Still, it's so amazing for me. I had no idea that Russian and Italian can have something in common.

1 hour ago, anna3101 said:

Thanks for the thread, I'm really surprised just how many of these phrases are exactly the same in Russian! That's probably because they come from Latin, and Latin had huge influence on all the nations. Still, it's so amazing for me. I had no idea that Russian and Italian can have something in common.

I didn't know too! Fortunately they are similar, so you can learn and remember them easily :D