Linguaholic

Teacher influence

lushlala

Yes, I think teachers can really influence how we learn language and even how we speak it later in life. With that being said, I think it is important to have many teachers of a language. We might have a formal teacher who we pay or who teaches in a formal setting. This is not my favorite atmosphere for learning, but I think it is an important one. If I had only learned this way, I would have walked away scarred and probably hated my new language. But because of this important step mixed with my other teachers like friends who would help me to see the humor in the culture, music, and nuances, I was able to learn to enjoy the language despite mistakes. I think a formal setting can be fun too, but one cannot escape learning grammar. And usually that is the thing most of us shy away from. The first 3 months of any language learning should be very strict and then once a strong foundation is set, I think we can begin to 'decorate' our language with the other necessary tools to be able to enjoy it and start making friends in that language. But we can't very well make friends if we are speaking like a rude person because we never learned how to properly speak. I think I'm trying to talk myself into taking my language grammar seriously as I type this post...

I was lucky to have good teachers in both, primary and secondary school. Their approach was totally different but both had great influence on my decision to become a teacher of English language. In primary school my teacher was so precise and she had some patience with us. She knew all the answers on my endless set of questions. She was my idol back then. In high school however, I also had a great teacher but a bit 'crazy'. Her methods were unorthodox at least. When we did some tests she used to put me in hallway to work or in her sit, so others wouldn't cheat by looking in my test or ask me to help them. It was funny when other teachers would see me in a hallway. Anyway, she revealed to me that teaching is creative to extremes and this is the main reason why I wanted to become a teacher myself. I like creativity and jobs that can use the best of it.

The common denominator between all the great teachers I've had is they know when to challenge me or push me to my limit but at the same time they have the skill of making you feel successful and giving me specific positive praise before giving me feedback and constructive criticism