Linguaholic

Hello! With the dream to speak 7 foreign languages

Sarochi

Hello everyone!

I'm glad to be here in this forum with people fond of languages!

I'm Sarochi, living in France (Lyon), I speak English as daily used language (I like to think about

in English, reading articles,novels, essays, writing blog articles,watching political debates in English,...).

My level in German is low-middle (B1) but I'm doing lot of errors and I have a rather restricted written

comprehension, I do it myself better in Spanish (B2 level) and bit more better in Italian than German.

I've been learning Dutch since more than one year and Serbian since September. After that, I'd like to learn Russian. My dream would be to speak these seven foreign languages with a very good level (B2+, why not C1). Do you think it's possible?

Waiting to read from you! Thanks!

Of course it's possible to get at least B2 for 7 languages.
I personally speak 5 languages and I'll be learning 4 more in the coming 2 years.
After that I will either learn more languages, or improve what I already know. :P

And of course: welcome.

Thanks for your answer and your welcome wishes, Blaveloper!! Indeed, I see. Moreover  (at least for the moment), I don't want to look after Eastern languages, tougher than European languages; eventhough Russian or Serbian are not really  easy ^^. So what do you think as the limit (general one, of course): about 10 languages? I mean a limit with the one you don't disperse with your languages and you have the leisure (and time!) to go deeper with these.

14 minutes ago, Sarochi said:

Thanks for your answer and your welcome wishes, Blaveloper!! Indeed, I see. Moreover  (at least for the moment), I don't want to look after Eastern languages, tougher than European languages; eventhough Russian or Serbian are not really  easy ^^. So what do you think as the limit (general one, of course): about 10 languages? I mean a limit with the one you don't disperse with your languages and you have the leisure (and time!) to go deeper with these.

I would rather not do that.
The number of languages you want to learn can generally increase and decrease over time, depending on your current mood.
At least, that's in my case.
Sometimes I'm in the mood to learn as many languages as possible and sometimes I think like I would never learn a new language any more.

As for finding time for languages, I am experimenting with a nice trick lately: wake up at 5 AM.
Sounds crazy, but it actually works really well.
You simply wake up at 5 AM and immediately take a shower, breakfast, etc.
Then at approximately 6 AM, you start learning the language on your own for max. 1 hour.
Then after work (if scheduled) I talk with my language teacher over Skype for 30-45 minutes.
At 18:30 I just review what I have learnt throughout the day and then I relax with music (and if possible, TV) in the language I'm learning.
At 21:00 I go to sleep again.
And throughout the day I always fill up empty spots of about 2 minutes each with flash cards, apps or other quick resources.

Sure! Let's say for a question of time the basic learning is about 1,5/2 years. And then it is important to continue to go deeper. And the more you have languages, the longer it takes time and as we have all a job, a life, ...etc I don't see myself with 15 to 20 languages ^^ So I guess for myself, it is reasonable to study in deep about 10 maximum.After that as a curious discovering is possible, you can pick and choose far more than 10, indeed!

(I know many hyperpolyglots, the ones I know, on internet go up to 13/15 as Alexander Arguelles , an universitary searcher)

Learning 10 languages in 2 years (2 months per language) might be enough for basic conversations in each language, but it won't make you fluent.

But if time is an issue, you could follow my advice (I have a few jobs too, so I know how you feel).

For example:
If you commit to work by train and you need to wait 2 minutes on your train to arrive, use these 2 minutes for language learning.
Then while travelling, continue your learning.

It sounds too few to be true, but every second of language learning counts as progress.
2 minutes each day equals to 14 minutes a week, 1 hour a month, 12 hours a year, etc.
But also utilise the 30 minutes a day (3.5 hours a week, 14 hours a month, 168 hours a year) before work.