Linguaholic

Enrolling in a Class or Studying on Your Own

gracerph

On 12/09/2016 at 5:56 PM, VinayaSpeaks said:

Years ago,I enrolled in a language school to learn a language. After weeks, I did not have time for the language class, I stopped going to class and decided to self learn. I was committed to learning, however, I could not learn better. You can self learn, however, you need to be more dedicated and find couple of hours every day to learn the language.

that is exactly the problem, more often then not you end up doing something else with the time that you had put to the side for learning. If you are in a classroom you know that you are there for that and nothing else.

5 hours ago, Lingua Franca said:

that is exactly the problem, more often then not you end up doing something else with the time that you had put to the side for learning. If you are in a classroom you know that you are there for that and nothing else.

If you go to a language class, you will learn the language even if your don't find time to learn at home, you are at least learning the language in the class. Unless you have a strict routine, and you stick the the routine, it is very difficult to lean at home.

7 hours ago, VinayaSpeaks said:

If you go to a language class, you will learn the language even if your don't find time to learn at home, you are at least learning the language in the class. Unless you have a strict routine, and you stick the the routine, it is very difficult to lean at home.

It's not impossible but it's very easy to get side tracked. In a class room you have other students that you can practice with while at home even if you make a mistake you won't know that you did it until you try to speak to someone that knows the language.

Studying in a classroom is definitely useful but at the end of the day, it all comes to you.
If you have the discipline you can study by yourself just fine and you will also save on the expenses that come with paying for a tutor.
However, it is not a bad idea to have other people to interact with you in the language you are trying to learn.

That depends on your persona preferences and whether you're able to understand on your own, that is being self taught. For most people it's better studying with a teacher, having a lesson plan because they can keep track of what they're learning and also they can feel more motivated. There are people who can easily learn things on their own and don't need a teacher. So I'd say if you can learn on your own you do it and if you can't you look for help from someone who can teach you, it doesn't have to be a teacher, it can be someone with knowledge, for example a tutor or instructor.