Linguaholic

The Hindi case system

Meera

In my opinion I think the case system in Hindi is one of the hardest parts. Although I don't think Hindi is particularly hard to learn, I think the cases give me the worst trouble even more so then the gender. Does anyone else have this problem?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Why should cases give you a problem! Does different cases result in different meanings for the same word? If that is the case then it might be a real toughie!

Haha I think because your native language is Tamil you won't have a problem with the cases  :grin:

When I first learned Hindi, I use to get stuck between deciding whether to use a full verb or one with a verb combination. For example, how do you determine when to say:

"Woh school mein aa gayaa" or "Woh school mein aayaa"?

Do you say "Woh nikal gayaa" or "Woh niklaa"?

And what would the differences between them be like?

When I first learned Hindi, I use to get stuck between deciding whether to use a full verb or one with a verb combination. For example, how do you determine when to say:

Yeah I get confused on this too sometimes

Both carry essentially the same meaning. There is not much difference, but we use the former more often.

Interesting. So the differences are mainly stylistic like in English "to help" and "to give a hand"? Same meaning but slightly different tone and style?