Linguaholic

Becoming a Polyglot

painted-ruin

Hey everyone, I'm your standard native English speaker who wants to learn other languages. I've been studying Spanish for several years and have become proficient at reading/writing it but still need to work on my actual conversational skills. I decided to learn various languages to have access to culture and knowledge that would be otherwise inaccessible to me. I notice that a lot of media (i.e. video games, music, television shows) that I would enjoy are originally produced in another language and aren't always translated to English, depending on their popularity. So for this reason I've decided to also start learning how to at least read Japanese and learn about the culture as well so that I can play video games intended for a Japanese audience rather than waiting around for a translation. That might seem like a stupid reason to learn another language but a lot of the movies (i.e. Ghibli films) and video games I like (i.e. Danganronpa) are originally Japanese and have sequels or similar products that are only available in the original Japanese, so I think it's worth it.

How about you guys?

6 hours ago, painted-ruin said:

Hey everyone, I'm your standard native English speaker who wants to learn other languages. I've been studying Spanish for several years and have become proficient at reading/writing it but still need to work on my actual conversational skills. I decided to learn various languages to have access to culture and knowledge that would be otherwise inaccessible to me. I notice that a lot of media (i.e. video games, music, television shows) that I would enjoy are originally produced in another language and aren't always translated to English, depending on their popularity. So for this reason I've decided to also start learning how to at least read Japanese and learn about the culture as well so that I can play video games intended for a Japanese audience rather than waiting around for a translation. That might seem like a stupid reason to learn another language but a lot of the movies (i.e. Ghibli films) and video games I like (i.e. Danganronpa) are originally Japanese and have sequels or similar products that are only available in the original Japanese, so I think it's worth it.

How about you guys?

Warm welcome

Thank you for that interesting introduction.

There are actually so many Japanese learners that actually start the language because of the reasons that you just mentioned. Even on Linguaholic I have seen those reasons a lot of times. But Studio Ghibli films are really amazing, so I can very well understand you hehe

Kind regards from Beijing

Lingua