Linguaholic

Hola! New learner from Ohio

m1shootr

I'm a senior self teaching Spanish. I took 2 quarters of Spanish 50+ years ago and it all but eluded me. I started Rosetta Stone early in January, and Fluencia last week, each for a 1 year subscription, not to mention purchasing several online books. I am making good progress as far as completing lessons in a timely manner, but it seems an uphill battle. I'm not that thrilled with RS, in that it seems to give phrases and images and no explanation; I have to go to a textbook if I want to learn the reasoning. Fluencia seem extremely easy in the first level. I'm not sure this is due to 4 months of RS or that the course is just that easy. I do find Fluencia gives better explanations of the grammar being taught. 

Edited by m1shootr

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

5 hours ago, m1shootr said:

I'm a senior self teaching Spanish. I took 2 quarters of Spanish 50+ years ago and it all but eluded me. I started Rosetta Stone early in January, and Fluencia last week, each for a 1 year subscription, not to mention purchasing several online books. I am making good progress as far as completing lessons in a timely manner, but it seems an uphill battle. I'm not that thrilled with RS, in that it seems to give phrases and images and no explanation; I have to go to a textbook if I want to learn the reasoning. Fluencia seem extremely easy in the first level. I'm not sure this is due to 4 months of RS or that the course is just that easy. I do find Fluencia gives better explanations of the grammar being taught. 

welcome to Linguaholic, m1shootr. Thanks for your interesting introduction. So if I understand right you prefer Fluencia over Rosetta Stone? Are there other advantages apart from the fact that Fluencia gives more grammar background?