Linguaholic

What keeps you motivated to keep learning a specific language?

Ailcua

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

6 minutes ago, Ailecua said:

Let's be honest, there are times when it can get really boring. So what keeps you inspired and motivated to push through with it?

In my case, this is an easy one to answer. I always need a real motivation in order to achieve a certain goal. When studying languages, this is no different. This is why I succeeded in studying Chinese. I always knew I want to use Chinese at work and I would like to work in China for some time. So I endured and learned Chinese.

For the same reasons, I was NOT able to learn Japanese. Because I did not have that very motivation and goal. So after a certain amount of time, I just quit because my long-term motivation was simply not there. 

Another factor that comes into play when studying languages (or basically everything else) is PASSION. If you do indeed have a passion for the language you are studying,  you are more likely to succeed. 

To sum it up, the two magic ingredients for me when doing anything basically are: Motivation (Goals) and Passion. And then again, it is like Ying and Yang. If you do have passion you also have motivation. and if you have the motivation you probably also develop a passion for it (if you are lucky). 

• 4 months later...

Motivation in language studying is always a relation to significant persons. For somebody it could be "people from the book culture", for others - people who play significant role in theri life. Just kidding. Mother and Father - most important persons, and because of them you have been learned your "mother's tongue" very quickly. If you will fall in love to somebody who speak foreign language... Trust me... you will get first 100 words in the first month of your relationship... Authorities. Yes, that's really important too. If you can be adjusted mentally to people who you respect. That's why scientific world so comprehensive to different languages. People just have a mental attachment to each other. So, in common words, the root of the motivation is a people who you are going to speak with...

3 hours ago, Dmitry Krutov said:

Motivation in language studying is always a relation to significant persons. For somebody it could be "people from the book culture", for others - people who play significant role in theri life. Just kidding. Mother and Father - most important persons, and because of them you have been learned your "mother's tongue" very quickly. If you will fall in love to somebody who speak foreign language... Trust me... you will get first 100 words in the first month of your relationship... Authorities. Yes, that's really important too. If you can be adjusted mentally to people who you respect. That's why scientific world so comprehensive to different languages. People just have a mental attachment to each other. So, in common words, the root of the motivation is a people who you are going to speak with...

Very good point, Dmitry!