Linguaholic
KevinTorres

popular dialect in china

Most Chinese use Chinese as their main language. And my task is at least to learn the language if I intend to go there and learn about their culture. There are many Chinese dialects, so which language will I learn best?

On 5/14/2019 at 5:17 PM, KevinTorres said:

Most Chinese use Chinese as their main language. And my task is at least to learn the language if I intend to go there and learn about their culture. There are many Chinese dialects, so which language will I learn best?

On 5/14/2019 at 5:17 PM, KevinTorres said:

Hey Kevin

This really depends on what your goal is. If you would like to communicate with the biggest amount of people possible throughout China, then definitely Mandarin Chinese.

If you would like to learn Chinese also for business reasons, then Mandarin Chinese is also the way to go, as long as your business intentions are not very region-specific. Which brings me to the next point. 

If you are in Hong Kong, then obviously Cantonese might be a good option to choose. 

The good thing is that written Chinese will everywhere be more or less the same. So even if you would study Mandarin, you can still show some written text to some people that only speak Cantonese, and they will definitely be able to read and understand it. 

If you have a specific region in mind in Mainland China, some other dialects might come in handy, but Mandarin Chinese is widely spoken throughout China these days, especially by young people. 

So, as to answer your question: It really depends. But in most cases, Mandarin Chinese (普通话) is the way to go. 

If you do have some more specific questions, please let me know and I will try to give a decent answer.