Linguaholic

Merriam-Webster Dictionary App [ENGLISH]

lindbergh

The Merriam Webster app for Android (I think it's also available for iOS) is a very handy app to have on your smartphone or tablet. It's lightweight (meaning it doesn't take much space) and it's free to download at the Google Play Store. It's also very easy to find the word that you're looking for. Just type in the word that you need on the search box and suggestions would pop up. You just need to click on the word that you're looking for to see the pronunciation, meaning, examples, synonyms, etc. It's cool to have around. Who else has this app installed in their mobile device?

:angel:

• 2 weeks later...

I have and often use the Merriem-Webster Dictionary and Thesaurus software on my computer, but wasn't aware there was an app version for Android. However, if you say it's lightweight and free, then I assume it requires an Internet connection to work, right?

Oh! That's the main problem with most apps because most of them look pretty useful, but does not work without an Internet connection.

Hence an app is not really a software you can use offline  :shy:

There are a couple that work locally or require little to no bandwidth usage.

The problem with most language apps is that resources like entire dictionaries or thesauri take up considerable amounts of space, especially on a mobile device. So most developers choose to stream it instead, making internet connectivity a requirement. Which is starting to become less of an issue these days, with carriers offering unlimited data plans and Wifi being widespread in most public places.

• 3 months later...

I have been using the Merriam-Webster application on my android phone for quite a while. And I have been very satisfied with the performance of the application. It does exactly what it is supposed to, i.e., provide meaning of difficult words quickly The application has a easy to understand user interface which is beneficial to those users who are not that tech-savvy.