Linguaholic

Hello everyone!

Mizali

Hello everyone, I'm Mizali!  I've always had an interest in languages and learning them, and have the misfortune of growing up in a country (America) that doesn't really seem to do very well at creating interest in studying other languages and encouraging people to be multi-lingual, like a lot of other places do.

Despite that, I studied both Spanish and Japanese in high school, even though I had to go to the local community college for the Japanese classes.  I even spent a summer on a language study program abroad in Osaka, Japan.

I have an interest in other languages too, and have started trying to learn French and German as well.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Welcome to linguaholic Mizali.  :karate:

Interesting point you raise, most Americans aren't interested in learning other languages is that what you mean?

I hope you enjoy it here.  :wink:

Interesting point you raise, most Americans aren't interested in learning other languages is that what you mean?

Yeah, that's mostly what I mean.  We Americans tend to be a little bit insular when it comes to language.  In Europe, for instance, other languages tend to be more prevalent because in many cases countries are the size of many of our states, and so it's not as common for people to have so little exposure to people who are from other countries and cultures, and who speak other languages.

In those cases where other languages are pretty common, like Spanish in many portions of the country, people aren't very interested in learning those languages and think that the other people should learn English to get by.

Yep, I had that impression for Americans regarding other aspects of the world, now I've learned it's the same with languages. Well you and quite a few other Americans are here, it can't be that bad!  :wacky: