Linguaholic

サイロン = Rhinoron? Rhinoceron?

Good Morning my native Japanese speakers. I am very novice Japanese speaker and translator. I have a question been struggling with this one for a while. My reasoning is below.

サイロン “Sairon” (Not so easy a translation)it is another play on names. サイ= 犀 rhinoceros “Usually written using kana alone” and ロン = ron. Look at his name Sairon, airon is Iron in Japanese. It is a combination name of Rhinceros and Iron. When translating his card “not very flexible, but he has a gentle and warm heart.” “hates to bend”.

I have attached the card for reference. He is an anthropomorphic Rhino from the toy line Laserbeasts/Battle Beasts "Beastformers" in Japanese. 

Look forward to your thoughts.

Steve

rhinoron copy.jpg

• 2 months later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

On 3/16/2020 at 4:54 AM, Blaveloper said:

Nice story, but what is exactly your question?

I am curious on if I am accurate in my assumption on his name if translated to English. And was curious on if native speakers could come to the same conclusion as what I came up with. His name, among others from this toy line never had official English names. 

14 hours ago, smbspo79 said:

I am curious on if I am accurate in my assumption on his name if translated to English. And was curious on if native speakers could come to the same conclusion as what I came up with. His name, among others from this toy line never had official English names. 

I don't think it would matter too much.
Even though word play is used by creators, developers, etc. as an easy way to come up with names, it's not something that really comes over as jokes to Japanese people.

If I'd guess I'd say that "Rhyron" could come close to an English name if possible, but names is not something I'd often translate unofficially.
It's basically like trying to translate "Mohammad" to English; of course you can make it more English-sounding like "Moghard", but it's not like you can translate that to "John" for example.

And like in every language, if a native speaker isn't known with the franchise you're talking about, they'd not be able to come up with an answer because they have no idea what you mean.
Those who are known will probably know however.