Linguaholic

ihre or Ihre ?!!?

John Dawn

hi all

I would like to know when you have to write ihrer in capital letters and when not.

examples:

if I want to say: "Leider konntne mich Ihre Qualitäten konnten mich nicht überzeugen", do I need to write ihre or Ihre ??

What about the following sentence:

"Das Haus ihrer Schwester ist sehr schön" and "Eine ihrer Hauptaufgaben wird die Unterhaltung unserer CMS-Systems sein".

This stuff freaks me out. please help.  :doubtful:

if I want to say: "Leider konnten mich Ihre Qualitäten nicht überzeugen", do I need to write ihre or Ihre ??

Well, it depends on whom you are adressing this. If you write this to a friend of yours and the actual person is someone else, ihre is NOT going to be in capital letters. If you write this sentence to a candidate that is searching for a job in your company, then it is going to be Ihre, as you are directly adressing this person!!!

What about the following sentence:

"Eine ihrer Hauptaufgaben wird die Unterhaltung unseres CMS-Systems sein".

Here it is the same as above. If you are directly adressing this person, it is going to be Ihrer and if not it is ihrer.

It's only capitalized when you're speaking formally. 

In all other instances, it's lowercase.  Also, the word Ihnen is capitalized when speaking formally as well.

When I was first learning German, this is the resource I used to memorize pronouns:

http://german.speak7.com/german_pronouns.htm