Linguaholic

Any linguistic exercises?

Denis Hard

To stay sharp at times requires a lot of practicing to be proficient at what you're learning. I'm interested in knowing the kind of exercises everyone else does [takes, etc] to help him/her keep getting better at the language s/he is learning.

Is she trying to improve her speaking, writing, or reading skill in the language in which she's learning? I would say for speaking, talk with other people who speak the language. That is the best way to practice. She can also listen to the radio or audiobook for that, which it also helps. Reading, for instance, she can read books that's in the language in which she's learning. That's a great way to improve her reading skill. Writing, on the other hand, is the hardest because it depends on how well the person knows about the language and much more. I would say reading books and writing articles will help her to improve her writing skill.

I have been putting a lot of work in lately in learning Spanish and what I find that helps me the most is finding a news video that has a script of everything they are saying. I take this and watch the video and then read the script. Any words I don't know I lookup and add to my list of words to study. This works for me and could benefit you

I actually have an English to Spanish dictionary at home, and that book is quite handy in quickly finding out the basic meaning of the Spanish words that I encounter on tv, movies or while surfing the web. I think anyone who is starting to learn a foreign language would benefit from owning a language translation dictionary. Of course, it would be much better if the person who is learning a new language can find a fluent person for a tutor.