Linguaholic

Duolingo [GERMAN]

qaximor

If you have an iPhone or and Android be sure to download the App called Duolingo! It's the best app yet that I eve have used. I have B2 level of German and Duolingo helped me a lot. It's for free and it was nominated the best app of the year for apple that's how big and good it is! Go to duolingo.com or you can search it in the app store

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't agree more! Duolingo is in my opinion, one of the best apps for foreign language learning. It's helped me with German so much and I think I'll go on to use it to learn French or Spanish once I'm done with German.

I love how they're constantly updating the app also, and adding new languages. I hope soon they add Mandarin!

• 4 weeks later...

They will start integrating more languages that's why they added something new that users themselves can come together and start making their own levels and quizzes for new languages!

I use Duolingo too and like it a lot! I'm currently learning german aswell! I think it's great that you can use the program both on your phone and on your computer. They don't have the option of learning swedish yet  but I signed up so that I can help with the development when they start!

I have seen quite a few posts on this forum about Duolingo!! I remember I had downloaded it on my last phone right before it broke on me. Totally forgot about re downloading it until now! So thanks for starting this topic.. I am curious though about how people feel about this app when it comes to learning the French language? I see a few people love it for German but I'll have to go ahead and give it a try!

Duolingo is what finally got me moving forward with German. I had used other apps, books, and audio courses, but Duolingo motivated me to stick with it. It's almost as addictive as a game. They have a really good variety of exercises and activities so it never gets boring. The lessons are short enough to be completed quickly, and the graph showing your progress encourages you to keep on going.

I like the ability to connect with friends who are also using the app, and the daily email reminders are helpful, too.

I like it so much that I started using it for the other languages that are offered. I'm reviewing Spanish, Portuguese, and French, and finally getting serious about Italian.

I hope that they add some other languages in the future. I'd like to see Russian or Polish.

The only area where the app might be improved is in providing a bit more grammar background, but I use books for that. This has been a bigger problem for me with German, mainly because word order and using the correct endings for determiners, nouns, and adjectives can be a challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Duolingo as a website and I think it's a great tool that can be used in order to learn a new language. However, it does have some problems with the sound from time to time or depending on the browser and it's frustrating when you can't complete the exercise because of that bug.

• 4 weeks later...

I use Duolingo a lot too, both the app and the website, but to be honest I don't think it's of much use on its own. It should rather be used as a supplementary study tool to reinforce concepts you've already learned, or perhaps pick up some new vocabulary. The immersion idea behind it doesn't translate well to reality and leaves users without grammar explanations. It's also somewhat buggy and filled with bad literal translations and just flat-out incorrect translations. Duolingo is fun and pretty, but don't hope to become fluent from it.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree, I like very much Duolingo but as a support, not as a study method. I don´t think is the best way to study a language but is a good way to make it easy and funny and practice when you don´t have someone to. I always use duolingo in the underground coming home.

• 1 month later...

I've been using this for the last year or so: I started with Spanish simply because that was all that was available at the time, but I switched over to German as soon as it was available. It's a great community, and any of the downsides are really just due to it being a crowd-sourced enterprise. This means it's free, so I have nothing to complain about! :P

Having said that, there is always room for improvement, so as others say, it's great as a *component* of your language learning. That's the case for everything, I suppose.

Oh, and just to clarify in case it wasn't clear to some: it's not just a mobile app. It started as a website, in fact, and it's still there. I used it there and on my iPad, and they are subtly different. For one, on the website, you must type out the words fully rather than simply select them. It trains your brain in a different way, I feel!

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to download it soon. But is it free? Because the apps that really make sense often comes with price, so I stayed away from looking and hoping for some. But if it were free, I wouldn't have second-thoughts on using it, more that I read brief good reviews and recommendations here.

• 4 weeks later...

I can definitely vouch for Duolingo. Duolingo is an amazing way to learn languages, and IMO mainly because of the amazing UI that comes along with it. It helps is a competition system so that you can compete with your friends. It really makes learning languages much more fun