Linguaholic

Why French?

tulosai

Why do I want to study French? It has something to do with it sophistication and accent and classy sound of words in conversations. :) The language fascinates me much and I just thought that I should be able to understand and speak a little French before I start planning to travel around Europe.

My fascination for French began with my father. He studied in Montpelier for 7 years. His French was perfectly pronounced.

I heard him speak the language and was fascinated by the way it sounded, the distinct pronunciation, and the different facial expressions needed to get some French sounds out.

I studied it as a child, but forgot most.

I am starting again, with a determination, to become fluent.

• 10 months later...

Well, I lived in France for a couple of years. I was pretty fluent then. I didn't practice it when I left though. I've forgotten a lot of words and I don't think I could carry a conversation in French now. So mostly, I'm relearning the language because I feel it's a shame to forget it when I used to be so fluent at it.

For me it was an obvious choice since I have a lot of family living in France. I often traveled there for vacations, and the decision of learning French just came to me naturally since it would have made it easier to talk to them, or even manage to go out on my own without acting like a clueless tourist :D

I also love the language however, and also plan to learn Latin in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

I was impressed by how good all the French movies are (Holy Motors is one of my favourites). There is another reason: I'm a Philosophy student, and French is a key language in the Western philosophical tradition (even though it's true that German philosophy is usually considered to be more influential).

I chose French because I am surrounded by Francophone countries and my country does a lot of trade with these countries. I also have a lot of neighbors who are from Togo and Cote D'Ivoire. They do not speak English or Twi. They only speak Hausa and French. Therefore, we are unable to communicate efficiently with each other. Being able to communicate with those around me is my motivation for learning French.

• 2 months later...

I didn't choose the French the French chose me. Actually I was getting along perfectly well in Italian then my husbands job moved us to Belgium and then France. I was never drawn to French and was the weirdo in high school who studied German  :laugh: I still don't like the language even after 4 years. It's complicated and people are far less forgiving for mistakes. I feel like it takes away from time I could be using to perfect my Italian. But that's life I guess. I have to do it!

• 4 weeks later...

I have always wanted to learn a language but have never really had the opportunity. I've decided to go back to college and I found out the degree I want requires 4 semesters of foreign language which means,  of course, I needed to decide on a language to pursue. They offer at least 20 languages but I finally decided on French for the following reasons:

1. After watching a few YouTube videos I seem to be pretty good at the pronunciation.

2. French is a beautiful language with a beautiful culture.

3. French is spoken in numerous countries.

4. France is a top nation that is very involved in the business and science fields, both of which are fields my degree will be used in.

5. After a little research I realized that not many French speakers speak English and not many English speakers speak French.

Those are the main reasons why I haven begun learning French and I am very excited about this journey! I am hoping to be able to speak casually in the next year or so and hopefully this forum will help me achieve that!

I just like the way it sounds. Also, I hope to go to France someday and if I can I want to live there for a while. I'm trying to learn a bit now so I wouldn't have to start from scratch once I do finally arrive. I think knowing some of the basics could help me a lot with the adjustment for when the time comes.