Linguaholic

Using google translator.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I'll check something through google translate more if I'm unsure of whether I've got the right word. For example if I write something out in Spanish two words I always mix up somehow are ahora (now) and ahorra (save). I just can't seem to get my head around which is which. So for terms like that I'll sometimes run it through a translator like Google just to make sure I've chosen to use the correct one. 

If I need to translate longer sentences I might run it through Google, but I'll do it in smaller sections to make sure I'm getting it as correct as possible. Sometimes I'm sure I still make mistakes, especially in languages I'm less fluent in. I'll also use Google to translate something if I'm reading it and don't quite understand the meaning, or if there's a spelling mistake in the text to try to work out what it could've been supposed to say, but it's a way to get the gist of things if I'm unsure of something at least. I certainly wouldn't rely on it for everything though.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally think that google translator only works if you're looking to translate a word or also a short phrase, it does not really work for sentences or complete texts, it really suckswhen it comes to grammar application, I do not really recommend it for new learners whatsoever.

On 10/15/2015 at 3:36 AM, Tyrell said:

Google Translate has definitely gotten better through the years, but I wouldn't rely on it. It's a great tool if you're trying to translate a single word or two, but not when you're trying to translate an entire article. It just.. doesn't work. Maybe in a few years, who knows, but definitely not now. Sure, it'll translates maybe most of the article nicely, but the rest are a mess and you just end up with more work because you have to correct them all. So yeah no, I wouldn't rely or recommend it at all. 

Yeah, you really have to be careful about doing this.  Any type of complex sentence structure and it will get confused.   If you are translating something from a different language into your native language you can often get away with doing the translation and then proofreading it, but only if you know the topic of the article pretty well because you can pick up logic errors.  Google has a bad habit of making sentences negative ( adding ´no´ )  for some reason.   I do this a lot, translating stuff from spanish and english, and then correcting it, but my spanish is good enough that when I go back and look at the original spanish, there are glaring and sometime counter errors where google gives the exact opposite meaning to sentences.

Anything more than a simple sentence, and it almost is not worth using.

• 3 months later...

I have used google translation many times and most times with success.  Sometimes though it does translate things wrong and it has problems but it is overall okay and good in my experience.  

I think Google Translator is getting better. It still won't translate things completely, it won't translate essays completely, however I personally still believe that if you need to translate a phrase, it does a fairly good job at doing it. 

It also can't handle anything too complex. If you throw an advanced phrase or slang at it it most likely won't translate. 

Another thing about it is the auto detect language. Many times I've used this and it will detect some weird language (for example, I tried to translate something from French to English and it told me I was speaking in Zulu or some other weird language) However, aside from those weird moments it does fairly decent translations. 

I use Google translate mostly for specific words or phrases I want to know the meaning of but not much else. I wouldn't depend on it to write whole paragraphs or to use it to communicate other than simple one word replies. It's good enough to use for certain tasks but it's not evolved enough to use as a translator though it has improved a lot over the years which I find very impressive. 

I have also used Google translator many times but I usually do it in words or short phrases. It is a good tool for translating words but I noticed that the translation is either bad or incomplete whenever I try translating a whole sentence, especially the long ones. So I just divide each sentence into parts before I enter them for translation.

Google Translate is terribly inefficient and inaccurate if you have to translate sentences. I wrote a book on learning Spanish, German, and French and I can say that it worked well for Spanish but not that well, just much better than it did for other languages. With German, it was awful. German has different cases which is manifested in the articles and modifiers and Google Translator simply got lost in the translation. If you have to use a translator, don't rely on Google. There are translators that work best for each language and you have to find what's best for the language you're studying. What's more, use them to partly check your work, but never rely 100% on free translation.

• 4 weeks later...

I have used google translate some and find it quite helpful. My husband has used it quite a bit too and he likes it a lot. It's not always as accurate as I would like but I think some of that is because I speak Quebec French which can be a little different than International French.