Linguaholic

Babbel

cpefley

Has anyone tried the Babbel app? I have seen lots of commercials, but was wondering how it compared to Duolingo. I hate the thought of spending a lot of money on learning a language. It should be free. Thanks for any input.

I signed up and tested it for a bit, they tested my language level (back then it was really low).   I didn't really like the feel of it, so I never went back.  I'd never pay for a stand alone app, but I'd definitely pay for something like what Dutchpod101 offers.  They have their own course and a lot tools, along with some apps. 

I've used Babbel many times in the past and I can personally say it is a pretty good app. Obviously it's not as good as the paid apps that are offered, but it is still exceptionally good. The only problem that I really have with this app is that it doesn't offer every language that is spoken. And it teaches you at a very slow pace versus some other paid apps that I've used. My advice to anyone that wants to learn a new language through an app is to just experiment with different apps to see which one is best for you. That's what I did. I hope you find the app that you are looking for best of luck to you in Learning a new language.

The free version is...usable, but it doesn't teach you a lot of things, truth be told. I don't use it anymore, mainly because I don't seem to get accustomed with their mobile UI.