Linguaholic

We all know that language uses finite means to get infinite number of sentences. We can create sentences almost freely. Sometimes they don't make sense, true, but they still remain a possibility.

However, language in general also has the property of recursion. By its definition "recursion" is the repetition of something. In language, things can be repeated almost infinitely. Take for example the following sentence:

I am very tired.

If I feel extremely tired, I might (instead of using the adverb phrase extremely) put another very in front of very tired as a premodification:

I am very very tired.

Grammatically, this is allowed even one hundred times. So sentence I am very very very very very very very very very tired. is perfectly grammatical, although it is not used simply because its not economical or practical. This is the example of recursion: the repetition of the adverb / adverb phrase very.

One other way in which recursion is realised is via coordination. Consider the following:

Mary was in school.

If we wanted to name all the children who were in school, that would be allowed, so we might get a very very very long sentence (I just love recursion), for example:

Mary and John and Jane and Joseph and George and Steve and Tina and Josh were in school.

Coordination allows me to name as many children as I want. Same is with adjectives:

I am tired and sleepy and frustrated...

And finally, there is one more structure I can think of: embedding! Also known as : subordinate clauses.

He says that I know that Mary thinks that John believes that ....

So, this is recursion. I used the examples from English simply because we all understand it. However, recursion is present in other languages as well. The only reason why it doesn't function is the memory limitation. We forget what we'd wanted to say or we forget what we'd already named - things like that. Still, these sentences remain grammatical. We cannot call them ill-formed, merely impractical. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Tucho
      Hey! I would like to improve my pronunciation but it's a bit tough for me since I don't have anyone to actually practice with. What do you recommend?
    • By alexthegrizzly
      Hey Linguaholics, 
      Few years back I moved to Barcelona with zero Spanish, after months of Duolingo + tutors, I made small progress, but grammar was always a bit of pain. 
      When covid hit, me and my biddy decided to improve our Spanish grammar and built tool for ourselves. It's a mix of theory and flash cards on steroids for grammar, with zero setup and optemised learning plan. 
      We will be launching it next week, but would love to know your feedback on if that might be a problem for you and if what we do resonates with it. Feel free ro drop any suggestions and feedback.
      http://grammargrizzly.com 

Thank you 
      Alex
    • By Meigui616
      Hey learners! 
      Has anyone experienced issues while learning English, or any language, online or with an app? 
      I'd like to know about your problems: https://forms.gle/SBHgw88yZAU4q42j6
    • By Kam
      Could you help me, how can I improve my speaking task:

From my point of view, the Polish education system has many failings, but the main failing is an attitude of many teachers in Polish schools. Firstly, the relation between student and teacher is too weak. It means that the teacher should discuss more with students. Moreover, the teacher ought to teach more individually. For example, if some students have many problems with speaking, the teacher should help him by giving advice, how to improve his speaking. I mean that the teacher should not only point out mistakes but also the teacher ought to help how to resolve the problem. In this case, the problem of students’ speaking. In other words, the teacher should be an instructor, who gives the student a helping hand.
      A few years ago I heard in some English Podcast that ‘teaching is not just testing”. I totally agree with this statement. The most important value of teaching should be helping how to improve students’ abilities. That is why, I think, that the teachers and lecturers should reduce the number of tests during the school or the academic year.
      Let’s move on to another disadvantage of the Polish education system. Personally speaking, I think that a core curriculum is inappropriate. In Polish middle schools, secondary schools and universities there are many unnecessary subjects, which are time-consuming, for instance: chemistry, Information Technology or biology.  If some students are not keen on this subjects, and they are sure that these subjects are not their cup of tea, they should learn at the same time their preferred subjects such us English or Mathematics  to polish up their abilities. If a student is not a biology fan, he should not waste their time in a subject which is not prospective for him or her.
      The best solution to solve this problem is a new curriculum. The student is aware which subjects can be useful for him in the future, and which subjects are completely unnecessary for him or her.
      To sum up, if we want to improve the Polish education system, Polish teachers should be more patient and should work with students more individually instead of working in groups. I do not want to criticize working in groups, but in my opinion, working in groups is less effective than individual work. What is more, teachers should reduce the number of tests because the tests take too much time. As I meant, the core curriculum should be also changed because there are too many unnecessary subjects.
    • By Shiau Wei9791
      Are you spending a lot of time teaching your kids spelling? Have you misspelled words in professional emails? Quick test, which of the following is correct: accomodate or accommodate? If your answer is yes to any of the questions, then this is the game for you!
      *FEATURES*
      1. Around 1200 words Library (Chinese Translation Provided)
      The words are suitable for kids aged 4 to 8 years old. They can learn based on their pace and age. Thus, it is very efficient for home based learning especially this moment. Another 1200 words for kids aged 9 to 12 will be available soon.
      2. Customisable Spelling List
      Create your own spelling list with words that you want to learn. You only have to key in all the words that you want your kids to learn in the spelling list. Then, your kids are ready to learn on their own!
      3. 300 Commonly Misspelled Words (With Chinese Translation Provided)
      Improve your spelling with these 300 commonly misspelled words. These words are commonly used in daily communication. Complete this 300 commonly misspelled words feature to avoid any awkward misspelled words in professional context or daily communication in future.
      4. Accurate Pronunciation
      Improve your communication by learning to pronounce words accurately. With a slow motion reading speed in the game, you will be able to learn perfect pronunciation.
      5. Funny And Cute Stickers
      Collect adorable stickers for free! More stickers to come in new updates
      6. It is free!
      FrozenAlien Apple App Store link – https://apps.apple.com/my/app/frozenalien/id1495573343
      Thank you for your time.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...