Linguaholic

Hindi: A soon to be forgotten language

pcgamer

It's one of the most under-appreciated language in my own country. We love to converse in English and boast that we know English. What's wrong with conversing in Hindi when it's your very own language? Dikkat kya hai bhai logon? Kya hum apni sanskri, sabhyata, ved-purano aur hamre rastriya bhasha ka apmaan nahi kar rahe?

That is so very true! Here in India, we have always felt English to be a superior language when compared to our local languages. This is a notion that we need to get out of people mind. Yes English is important but our native language is equally important too!

I do not think that Hindi will ever become extinct. What I think is that the language will becoming increasingly influenced by English and that while many common words will be retained, any technical or scientific word will automatically be loaned from English, as in "Ham apni naayi phone line ko kaise connect karte hain"?

I disagree compleatly, Hindi will not go away anytime soon. Actually I think it's growing, for example I know people from Nepal,Guyana, Afghanistan and Bangladesh who can communicate in basic Hindi from watching Hindi movies. Also I'm not sure about in India, but here in the United States I meet many Marathi's, Gujarati, and Punjabi's that can speak Hindi and use it to speak with other Indians. We are also forgetting that Hindi and Urdu spoken are mutually intelligible and Urdu is deffintly not going any time soon in Pakistan. Hindi and Urdu both has tons of media, has a lot of literature and has over 200 million speakers. I see Hindi getting more important instead of declining. Also both Hindi and Urdu are on the United States Critical languages list and is offered at a lot of big universties here, so I really don't think it will go extinct.

I disagree compleatly, Hindi will not go away anytime soon. Actually I think it's growing, for example I know people from Nepal,Guyana, Afghanistan and Bangladesh who can communicate in basic Hindi from watching Hindi movies. Also I'm not sure about in India, but here in the United States I meet many Marathi's, Gujarati, and Punjabi's that can speak Hindi and use it to speak with other Indians. We are also forgetting that Hindi and Urdu spoken are mutually intelligible and Urdu is deffintly not going any time soon in Pakistan. Hindi and Urdu both has tons of media, has a lot of literature and has over 200 million speakers. I see Hindi getting more important instead of declining. Also both Hindi and Urdu are on the United States Critical languages list and is offered at a lot of big universties here, so I really don't think it will go extinct.

It's a pity that our own Indian government is not supporting it.

Well there was an uproar in most of the non-hindi speaking states last time they tried (particularly in Tamilnadu), so there are not going to do it again. Moreover I don't even think it needs further help. Most government operations at state level are carried out in Hindi and it is still spoken by enough people. The so called 'English snobs' are a product of the systems in large cities. Most of India is not like that.

Well there was an uproar in most of the non-hindi speaking states last time they tried (particularly in Tamilnadu), so there are not going to do it again. Moreover I don't even think it needs further help. Most government operations at state level are carried out in Hindi and it is still spoken by enough people. The so called 'English snobs' are a product of the systems in large cities. Most of India is not like that.

Yeah I'm glad the government doesn't force Hindi on the southern states like Tamil Nadu, I think it is awesome India has so many languages and encourages their regional languages. So many countries try to oppress their regional and minority languages.