Linguaholic

Editing an Essay

Preya_M

We all have to write something eventually, be it an essay or a simple report, but how much effort do we really put into to? I edit mine, then I have someone else edit it, and then I look it over again to make sure that I agree with what the person changed. Eventually after this process I'll get down to writing out the hard copy of the text. What are your steps or editing your work?

I usually do a bit of research first, so I have a global idea of what I want to say and what I need to include. Then I write it in one go, doing editing per sentence or sometimes paragraph. That's the first draft, I read it to see if there's any obvious errors, correct those and then I'm done.

Only very few times I need to redo some larger sections.

I've always done this with everything, writing, drawing, programming. Most people say you need to make an outline first and worry about details later, but I just can't do that, I have to make the whole thing with all details on the first try and then do minor editing and corrections while I'm at it.

I like to make an outline first before writing. I usually make a list of the points I'd like to tackle. If I think I've covered all the important areas, I would start filing in the details. I would read my work and usually an idea pops into my head and I'll include it. Sometimes, I let somebody read the essay and have him/her say something about my piece, though I rarely do this.

When I was younger I would always make an outline before writing out an essay. Over the course of doing this I realized that it never actually helped me. My brain was always wracked with ideas and I would always go astray from the outline. Ever since I realized this, I just stopped making outlines, though I sometimes put some points down before I forget them.

Mine is kind of lame, but... I like to write mine out on paper first. I get distracted by the computer/internet a lot so whenever I have a paper to write, I'll just do the research beforehand, write them down, and then turn off the computer. Then I'll start brainstorming and outlining on scratch paper. When I think I have enough information, I get some more scratch paper and start to officially write my essay.

This method really helps me focus. Plus writing it down is... kind of a different feel. I can write anything down, knowing that my rough draft will be in the trash after I get the official paper done. So I can be as messy and unorganized as I want. I can draw arrows, cross out things, mark things in different colors, etc. I don't have to worry about grammar or spelling or punctuation because when I type it up, I will catch those things (which would be consider my first edit). I feel that when I do this, my papers are always better than if I were to just type it out from the start.

Sometimes if I need to edit it again, I read my paper outloud to myself. When you read your paper outloud, you'll usually catch mistakes that you weren't aware of before.

I write out my work, proof and edit it myself, since I sometimes do not have it in final form on the first go round.  I have a dear friend I have worked with for years who is an incredible proofer and a bright individual who I have read it cold (no clues) and then brainstorm after.

Mine is kind of lame, but... I like to write mine out on paper first. I get distracted by the computer/internet a lot so whenever I have a paper to write, I'll just do the research beforehand, write them down, and then turn off the computer. Then I'll start brainstorming and outlining on scratch paper. When I think I have enough information, I get some more scratch paper and start to officially write my essay.

This method really helps me focus. Plus writing it down is... kind of a different feel. I can write anything down, knowing that my rough draft will be in the trash after I get the official paper done. So I can be as messy and unorganized as I want. I can draw arrows, cross out things, mark things in different colors, etc. I don't have to worry about grammar or spelling or punctuation because when I type it up, I will catch those things (which would be consider my first edit). I feel that when I do this, my papers are always better than if I were to just type it out from the start.

Sometimes if I need to edit it again, I read my paper outloud to myself. When you read your paper outloud, you'll usually catch mistakes that you weren't aware of before.

I don't think it sounds lame at all, whatever you find that works for you and gets you some good grades shouldn't be lame; it should be considered genius. Your arrows and colour markings sound like my class notes, I do that as well. I've never tried reading my entire essay out loud, usually if I have a sentence that is biting at my head, then I'll read it out loud.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Sooo... I have a bad habit of postponing writing my assigntments to the last moment, so when I write them, it`s always in hurry and my thoughts are floating fast, so I know I can make mistakes here and there... semantic, grammar, any kind. So I ussualy reread the writing after I get some rest, with clear head, and it takes some time...
Also, if you have any struggles with writing a proper essay, you can always order it online, for example on https://us.bestdissertation.com/, they can help you on any stage of your work or write the whole thing for you, so you won't have to worry about it)

I think many of us are interested in the question when preparing homework, who can help writing papers? Some colleges and universities offer writing workshops specifically for nursing students. These workshops provide guidance on how to write papers for nursing classes and offer tips for improving writing skills. However, I still prefer professional services, because only experts in the field can give a comprehensive answer and prepare my homework correctly.