Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
edmundangelson

How many words per day on memrise?

8 posts in this topic

I aim for 15 new words per day (one level) on my Mandarin course at the moment, which is just the top 1,000 most common words. I'm currently getting about 75 per day to review too on average and rising as my 'learned words' bank grows.

How many do you learn per day on memrise?

Offtopic kind of: do you actually find Memrise effective? Because I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on the app and wouldn't really want to waste time on something that doesn't bring any real value, honestly.

15 words a day sound like a good amount.  I do use this method right now so I am trying to imagine in my head me doing it and figuring out how much I would need.  It is pretty impossible though, and there is only way to actually find out.  It probably depends a lot on the person and your learning style too, so I am sure with time you know yourself best.  Best of luck to you with your 15 and aim for more if you can.

I don't use Memrise. However, I have couple of dictionary apps which send me one word every day and I learn that work. Usually, I am learning two words in English every day

Update: I've started to learn German on Memrise and I am learning and consolidating about 7 to 10 words each day. It's not a lot, but slow progress is better, because I get to use and repeat almost everything that I learn. I'm not a big fan of the app, but it's better than other apps from the same field.

If u want to build a vocabulary at a faster pace, you should increase the workload slightly more, like 20 or 25. You can go ahead hardcore mode and learn 50, but it'll take more than 2 hours from your time. Is some serious commitment, you know.

Memrise is good for learning the basics, and so far I have learned 10 or more words. Sometimes you will have to remember the words and their translation in order to get it right.  I used to play the app before, but now not so much anymore.  There are some words which I learned but were not yet covered by the regular classes.

A good approach is to learn 5 to 10 words a day, then review them 2 weeks later and then (I believe) 6 months later. I read this somewhere years ago, not sure where though, but to me it makes perfect sense. After all you want to make sure the words stick in your long-term memory. 

I admire anybody who can memorize 10 or more words a day, that is a great achievement.