Linguaholic

Shortened English Words

Baburra

I find the term "comfy" very whimsical, but I don't really like all of them. Most of the other ones like "hanky" and "veggies" don't really sound as good to me, and it really grinds my gears when I hear it, for some reason. I've heard people disliking "comfy" too though, so I assume it's just one of those things. Anyone else got any more examples? Do you have any disliked ones as well?

Abbreviations are fine in most conversations, but it drives me insane when people use them academically (which they should not).  One thing that bothers me a lot is when people use chat acronyms in speech.  Like saying "I lolled."  Double the annoyance when they are not actually laughing out loud.

Double the annoyance when they are not actually laughing out loud.

Wholeheartedly agree, and ironically, that made me lol.  :laugh:

I dislike to read stats for statistics, prep for preparation, congrats for congratulations, invites rather than invitations, sync instead of synchronization, and so on.

It could be fine in a colloquial conversation, but I don't see the reason to see this abbreviations in articles, as in example.

Haven't even thought of those, but honestly they don't peeve me out as much as the ones I've stated, although I understand that it can be annoying to see it used in articles. It would probably stick out for me too if I saw it.

This thread has made me aware that some people don't like other people using abbreviations (or abbrevs  :laugh: ). I've never really had a problem with anyone using them in a conversation with me, either online or in person. I can understand that an overuse of them might be annoying, but I try not to let little things like that bother me.

Some of the especially obnoxious ones (cutesy words that are used in a short form for no reason) really annoy me. Although it's fine if a long technical term is shortened to save time and improve legibility in everyday conversations (e.g., "Last day I synchronised my cellular phone with the online service" sounds a bit more meaty than "synced my phone to the cloud", even if the latter is more annoying.)

This thread has made me aware that some people don't like other people using abbreviations (or abbrevs  :laugh: ). I've never really had a problem with anyone using them in a conversation with me, either online or in person. I can understand that an overuse of them might be annoying, but I try not to let little things like that bother me.

I find it pretty interesting too that some people like me are annoyed at some types of abbreviations, because I don't really mean to be this petty, but I kind of can't help but cringe when I hear some of them. I think erronousRogue touched on a good point that they just sound obnoxiously "cutesy".

I don't mind it if it makes sense. If it doesn't make much sense (some friends use "probs" instead of "probably") then I'm pretty averse to it.

I see someone doesn't like "stats" used in place of "statistics". As someone who is heavily into fantasy sports it seems very strange. Nobody has time to type out the full word!

I really don't mind if people abbreviate English words, it doesn't really sound odd or "cutesy" to me. But I think that if a 70 year old person would start saying that he or she is "more comfy in pajamas" then I would find that to be very funny, since it doesn't suit their age.

• 1 month later...

I'm actually guilty of this :P I do it all the time, I love using ''comfy'' quite too often.  Specially when referring to my boyfriend's bedroom (he just bought several things to make his room feel and look more cozy :) 

Uhm I also like using words like ''veggies''. I don't know why, I guess I do that because it sounds really cute and nice... very colloquial, you know?  That being said, nope, I don't mind when people use english language that way... this is way better than the abominations young spanish speakers are doing to spanish.

I really don't mind if people abbreviate English words, it doesn't really sound odd or "cutesy" to me. But I think that if a 70 year old person would start saying that he or she is "more comfy in pajamas" then I would find that to be very funny, since it doesn't suit their age.

You would really probably never accept them saying "more comfy in pjs" then.  My biggest pet peeve is when people call their designer shoes or bags by a cutesy shortened form of the name.  I knew one who called her bag "Louie" for her Louis Vitton purse.  I think it is being more pretentious than out of a savings of time.

• 4 years later...
On 11/23/2013 at 6:46 AM, thekernel said:

I see someone doesn't like "stats" used in place of "statistics". As someone who is heavily into fantasy sports it seems very strange. Nobody has time to type out the full word!

Weird. As someone who plays CCGs, whenever I heard someone says "stats" my mind immediately jumps to "status" instead of "statistics".