Linguaholic

What you're favorite play in English language?

I have to confess I've never really had any interest in plays in English apart from the obvious Shakespeare ones - love Henry V and King Lear. Apart from Shakespeare there isn't much more I know of. I've seen movie adaptations of plays, like Cat On A Hot Tin Roof or Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, but never read any. The sole exception I find is I'm Not Rappaport, which I had to read for a class.

The only plays, apart from some culturals,i've ever been involved in were also Shakespeare.Acting the scenes would always make literature classes fun and inspiring :smile:.

My all time favorite play is Gaston Leroux' Phantom of the Opera. No matter how many times I see it, it moves me every time, particularly the last scene when the phantom is abandoned by Christine. This apart Shakespearean plays are a treat to watch, I've only watched Twelfth Night and Lear and both were quite well done. Recently I watched a school production of "Wicked", an adaptation of The Wizard of Oz, which was neatly staged.

Much Ado About Nothing, though the Kenneth Branagh movie has some rather unpalatable acting in it. 10 Things I Hate About You was a funny movie interpretation of the Shakespeare play, and in high school I got to act in a play of that. It was fun having the language modernized but the themes kept intact. As far as reading/studying plays goes though, it's much better to read it in its original language.

I never did like Shakespeare's work [i'm just eccentric, that's all]. Anyway, my favorite English play is actually translated from Russian:

The Governement Inspector.

I like the play because I can identify with it. I've lived in places where corruption is the order of the day and when you see it satirized, well, it's satisfactory enough for me.