Linguaholic

Rikaichan

If you don't have Rikaichan yet, I highly recommend getting it!

It's a dictionary plug-in for Firefox, Seamonkey and Thunderbird. When you hover your mouse over a Japanese word, it gives you translation and also shows you how to read the kanji.

You can find it here:

http://www.polarcloud.com/rikaichan/

It's really useful, because it gives pretty accurate translations.

Thanks for reminding me about this. I think I may have had it installed on one of my machines at one point in time, but I can't find it now. I've heard good things about Rikaichan from friends in the past. I'll get in the habit of using it again. It'll prove very useful to me, except for those pages where everything's an image. I notice that some Japanese web pages do that quite a bit.

there is also a firefox extension (maybe also supports different browser) which is called peraperakun (or perakun). It does the same thing as rikaichan. You can also get this for Chinese. The dictionary is not only in Japanese-English. You can also get Japanese-German as far as I know and maybe even different language combinations. The extension is free of course.

I've heard about Rikaichan from friends who have just started learning Japanese. I heard that the translations are of much better quality than the mess you sometimes get from Google Translate (some would say "often"  :wacky:)!

• 4 weeks later...

Ahhh! This is the plug-in that I was looking for. :)

I remembered my friends telling me about this one but unfortunately, I have forgotten about it.

I am currently installing the plug-in. :)

This would help me a lot especially in reading some Japanese comments on Facebook. Haha.

I used to use a plugin on Firefox that lets you right click a page and all the furigana will come up above the Kanji. This was also very helpful when I started learning. I don't remember what the plug in was call though, sorry!