Linguaholic

Klingon? (Ancient Post)

czarina84

This may sound like a joke post, but it really isn't.  I am not a Star Trek fan, but my fiancé and his mother are huge Trekkers.  I was wondering if (even though it was developed for a television show) Klingon is actually considered a language.  It has a syntax, vocabulary, and is associated with a specific culture (because Star Trek fans take their fandom seriously). 

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Well, technically I am sure some think of it as a real language, specially because there are some active speakers out there :o  Yes, this is not the first time I hear about this :P   I think it really depends who you ask this to, some people will tell you there is no way they could ever consider klingon a real language and others will say it technically is. Of course I am no hardcore linguist of any kind... just someone who enjoys learning languages for fun (excepting dutch, I never liked that one language, but here I am...)

I haven't had much contact with this language and I too am not a great Trekkie fan, but have seen Trekkie fans that take this language very seriously. At least in the Trekkie conventions they do, even going as far as to teach their children. As far as I have been able to figure out the language is structured like any other language and can and is used to communicate between each other. It isn't just a bunch of words that people uter, there is a structure behind it.

Well, technically I am sure some think of it as a real language, specially because there are some active speakers out there :o  Yes, this is not the first time I hear about this :P   I think it really depends who you ask this to, some people will tell you there is no way they could ever consider klingon a real language and others will say it technically is. Of course I am no hardcore linguist of any kind... just someone who enjoys learning languages for fun (excepting dutch, I never liked that one language, but here I am...)

To be honest, me either.  I just like knowledge.  As I said, my fiancé and his mother are hardcore fans of the shows.  I looked it up and kept seeing references to the Klingon "language".  I posted this because I wanted to see if it was actually considered one or if people were just throwing it around.  What really threw me was the fact that it has defined rules. 

I know what you mean, but I was reading an article some days ago about how languages like klingon and even elvish are considered real languages by some.  If I am not mistaken elvish comes with its own grammar and its writing system. I actually checked a web site on this subjects years ago, it was so interesting!  Each little dot and line do mean something. It think elvish is specially clever, same goes to klingon, they both look like legit languages, but they are all constructed. Then again... we could say the same about Esperanto ;) 

• Linguistanerd changed the title to Klingon? (Ancient Post)