Linguaholic

tips in learning new language in foreign land

kitkat0124

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Thanks for sharing this, kitkat0124.  I thought the study findings that the speaker shared are really fascinating and worth paying attention to.  I can see how reverting to something familiar that evokes one's native language could impact your learning of another language.  As he pointed out, the brain will revert to old patterns and neuro-pathways rather than make and/or retain new ones because the brain is looking for shortcuts. 

This makes a lot of sense to me.  I think it has larger implications.  It's also why breaking an old habit and/or replacing it with a new one is challenging.  It's been shown that if you can change a habit for 20 to 30 consecutive days (I've heard both numbers) that you can make a permanent change. 

So it seems this same principle applies to learning a new language.  You have to keep practicing it and not let yourself revert back to your native language.  That would be extreme immersion, for sure, but I think worth it if one is motivated to learn.

My immersion has never been this extensive as I've never lived in a foreign country to learn a language Has anyone had this kind of experience?  Do the principles and concepts in this video ring true if you have?

I moved to U.S 8 years ago and unlike many people who started searching for friends to connect to from their home country,I didn't. I live in a very small town where majority of the population are Caucasian and all I speak is English. The video is true. When you surround yourself with people who speak the foreign language ,you have no choice but to learn the language thus,you will learn faster and pick up the words faster.  Whenever I go back home,I feel like I lose the 'accent' of my English and just felt like my English sounds a lot like I am speaking my mother tongue.It could be just my imagination but I feel that way.

It's the same thing as people who migrate to U.S but restricted their children to speak their own language at home. I have a friend who migrated to U.S with his family when he was 3 years old, at 25 years old, he still has this super thick Chinese accent that people always thought he learned his language in China. His parents speak very little English.

My husband works with a lot of Vietnamese who migrated to U.S since they were young but they speak very little English because they simply don't speak the language. Not only they are surrounded by people who speak their language,they go to grocery store where the owners are Vietnamese, and often get together with their peers that also speak Vietnamese so they hardly 'have to' speak English.

I can understand the importance of surrounding yourself with the target language. I, however, still tend to use English. I am surrounded by Turkish-speaking people all day, and I have been so for 2 months. They all know I am trying to learn Turkish, and they all encourage me to do so by sometimes talking Turkish to me, even though at a very beginners level. I do understand them - and I even know how to answer, but for some reason I shy away and answer in English - because I know they understand English.

It certainly helps if said foreign land also has a fluency in your native tongue. Like, if I wanted to learn Spanish in a different country, Belize might be the best option as English is the "official" language, but most people were brought up with Spanish.

Yes, it's best to start with your mind fresh every time you try to learn a foreign language.  It's true that sometimes there are similarities (example: Bahasa and Filipino) but if you stick on looking for these similarities, it might get you more confused later on.