Linguaholic

Ancient Language

Rooks57

If you could learn any ancient language to speak and write in fluently, what would it be?  I grew up wanting to speak Gaelic but recently, I've kind of liked the idea of learning ancient Classic Chinese.  I kind of like the idea of reading all the old texts in their original language instead of translations.  Or maybe one of the ancient Mayan languages like Quiche or Tzeltal would also be a fun one to know.  What about you?  Any lost ancient language that you would like to learn just for fun?

The ancient language I would like to learn is probably Akkadian. It's one of the earliest Semitic languages so I suppose if you know it, learning other Semitic languages might be easier. It's just an assumption I'm making but I'm a history buff so there's much I could learn about Mesopotamia if I could read the language the spoke back then.

I would study Latin, probably. It's the most familiar to me and I think it would be the best for me because of that. I honestly don't know much about it but I've always been sort of curious and interested since I read some Latin phrases when I was younger so I guess that's mostly how my interest in it started. 

Hmm I use to want to learn this really rare language as a child, but for the life of me I can not remember the name of it.. anyways I am really interested in Ancient Egypt and would love to learn the Ancient Egyptian Language. 

I've actually started learning Classical Latin, though not for fun. It was for a project that required me to collate Latin conversational phrases. I enjoyed the task and I started to study on my own. I was amazed at the many resources on the internet about Latin, and learning it is feasible so if there's an ancient language I'd like to be fluent at, this would be it.

3 hours ago, babelle said:

I've actually started learning Classical Latin, though not for fun. It was for a project that required me to collate Latin conversational phrases. I enjoyed the task and I started to study on my own. I was amazed at the many resources on the internet about Latin, and learning it is feasible so if there's an ancient language I'd like to be fluent at, this would be it.

Latin is still alive, even though there aren't  a lot of people that speak it as a first language, I don't know if there are any to be exact. Latin was the language of science a short time ago so there are still plenty of resources out there to learn it.

To say that Latin is dead, though in some sense true, is not a particularly helpful observation when it comes to education. Plato and Cicero and Shakespeare and George Washington and the rest of the Founding Fathers are also dead, but we still study them because they have important things to say about human nature and have shaped our civilization.

I am not sure if Arabic would count as an ancient language. However, I have been told something very interesting about the language. Apparently, the grammar has not changed since the time of Prophet Muhamed. I was told that the grammar of the Arabic language cannot be changed because to do so would mean that the meaning of the Quran would change as well.