Linguaholic

Do you use correct English when you are talking to your friends?

Dieselfit

I don't. Mainly because we have our own jargons and inside jokes. Plus we are also so comfortable with each other that we don't really worry about being proper. Of course, this only applies to my close friends and not to acquaintances.

• 3 weeks later...

We sorta have to. It's a trend with my friends that we embarrass each other when we place incorrect English in our sentences, especially if it's super obvious ones.

I don't notice at all honestly. But I am very particular with my English when I am writing and speaking for formal assignments. When I am talking to my friends, I just go all the way natural.

I do yes, the funny thing is that a lot of the time I'm correcting my friend's grammar because theirs is wrong!  We don't really use slang or anything like that, but I do have one friend who is always getting her tenses wrong and I feel mean for correcting her, but it drives me crazy to not say anything, haha!

It really depends on the specific friend I'm speaking with at the moment. Most of the time, I use correct grammar, but it tends to fall when speaking to certain people - usually friends that frequent websites like Tumblr.

That seems pretty impractical. In a normal conversation, you want immediacy, fun, and friendly informality. I don't think you can achieve that when you use grammar that's too correct, if you get what I mean.

In casual conversations, my priority is just to deliver the message that I want to. As long as they understand what I'm saying, then I need not use proper grammar.

But if we talk about conversations online or during class, it is very important to me. I guess, same goes for anybody else.

Talking? To my friends?

Of course not!

We make up words. We slur our pronunciation. We put on fake accents that don't exist. We begin and end sentences with conjunctions and prepositions. We turn nouns into verbs, and verbs into adjectives.

We're as incorrect as possible while still being understood!  :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...