Linguaholic

Write a word that you know in Spanish

TheStoryteller1

Write down one word in Spanish and what it means.

I think if each of us writes a random word they know, we may get to learn a little more vocabulary...sure, just a word, but after few posts - you may know some knew words. I think that's very easy way to increase vocabulary.

So I hope you guys join me in this:).

I will start.

un abrazo - hug, embrace

I learned that when I was trying to email columbian friend, and wanted to write at the end of the letter my usual "hugs and kisses" in his language.

Orina - urine

That's the word I learned today after having to drive a friend to the doctor for a UTI an hour before she was due to be at the airport for a flight home. She couldn't get ahold of her husband and I needed to help translate using both our broken Spanish. That's the word that stuck with me through the whole experience.

Great idea!

Juevos - eggs

But it's not always that innocent.  I was talking to a Mexican woman about her children and going on Easter egg hunts.  Para bus car juevos.  She got really quiet and the waitress next to us was giggling uncontrollably.  Apparently when used in conversation, juevos can also mean… well… man eggs (use your imagination) depending on where your from.  In some places they mean eggs more, but in others it takes on a more slang meaning.  So when in doubt my friends:

Blanquillos - eggs

Lord knows I'll never forget that one.

hueso - bone

I chose that word because I always get it confused with egg - huevo.

I often have to ask the butcher if they have any "huesos de res" (beef soup bones) as we feed them to our dogs, on a daily basis. I've asked the butcher, many times, "Tiene huevos de res" and they look at me a bit confused before pointing to the corner where the eggs normally are. I, then, realize my mistake and ask for huesos; the butcher will laugh and tell me whether or not they have any for sale.

• 5 weeks later...

limpio - clean (adj.)

I like this word since it sounds like it would be related to "limp" in English, but it means something completely different! The opposite of 'limpio' is 'sucio'. For example,

El cuchillo está limpio

(The knife is clean)

Hope you enjoyed that short lesson!

I'm not sure if it counts as a "word", but I love how you laugh in Spanish: JAJAJA

It's because J is pronounced like H, so it's actually HAHA.

One time I was talking to my cousin who lives in Spain and she kept using jajaja, and I had no idea what it meant. After she told me what it meant, I started to think it was the cutest thing ever :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a random word that popped into my head:

un bocadillo - a sandwich

When I was learning Spanish in school back in the UK of course we were taught Castilian -- which is only natural given the proximity of Spain to Britain. However, since moving to North America, I never hear a trace of Castilian from anywhere. I was so disappointed while visiting Guatemala last year that I could not find reference to a 'bocadillo'. Oh well, I'll just have to bide my time until I am next in the Iberian Peninsula!

• 1 month later...

Embarazada: Pregnant

I had to do a mini skit for one of my Spanish courses in college, and I had to learn that word for one of my lines. Maybe the way it rolls off the tongue, but for some reason that word has always stuck in my head.

Here's a random word that popped into my head:

un bocadillo - a sandwich

When I was learning Spanish in school back in the UK of course we were taught Castilian -- which is only natural given the proximity of Spain to Britain. However, since moving to North America, I never hear a trace of Castilian from anywhere. I was so disappointed while visiting Guatemala last year that I could not find reference to a 'bocadillo'. Oh well, I'll just have to bide my time until I am next in the Iberian Peninsula!

Here (Mazatlan) sandwiches are called Tortas.

This is funny, because all my Spanish lessons tell me sandwich is emparedado.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Suerte - Luck

I've heard this one a couple of times while listening to music in Spanish, and I like the way it sounds.

I believe "mala suerte" would be the opposite "bad luck" so thats 2 new words.

I'm fluent in Spanish but I still want to play :)

contribuir- to contribute

compartir- to share

Me da gusto contribuir a esta noble causa. 

I am happy to contribute to this noble cause.

Me gusta compartir. 

I like to share.

I'm fluent in Spanish but I still want to play :)

contribuir- to contribute

compartir- to share

Me da gusto contribuir a esta noble causa. 

I am happy to contribute to this noble cause.

Me gusta compartir. 

I like to share.

Thanks for contributing. I really like the fact that you used the words in a sentence too. That really helped to give me a better idea how to use those words in an actual conversation. I mean what good is an extensive vocab if you don't know how to use the words properly.

Bailar = to dance

I learned this world quickly in Latin clubs. When the guys asked us girls to dance, they would say something like...

baila?

quiere bailar (do you want to dance)

baila conmigo? (dance with me?)

Horchata - A delicious beverage! I encourage anyone to try it, I am sure you will enjoy it. There are many variants across all Latin American countries, but I am referring to the Mexican kind.

• 3 weeks later...

Boludo.

It means someone who is stupid, or just clueless or dumbass, but its also used in a friendly way when calling to friends.

Burro is donkey.

Mi casa es tú casa, which means ny house is your house.