Linguaholic

Blogging to improve language skills

celinehazel

Hi everyone!

I just created a blog (makemeapolyglot.blogspot.com) to help others learn languages and also help myself learn as I reflect upon my language learning methods and also by writing down "Words of the Day" etc.

It would be really helpful if anyone has any tips in how I can make my blog a helpful resource for language learning ^^ Also, if anyone has any experience in using a blog to monitor your own progress, please let me know whether it has been effective for you!

Try to find as many sources and grammar books as well as vocabulary. You don't have to write about grammar, but do make sure that people know where to find the information if they're looking for it. I do believe that this could pay off. You can always see how Livemocha functions or Rosetta Stone and pick up some of their ways of presenting a language, but do make sure all you write is correct. It wouldn't be helpful to learn something incorrect... Anyway, I do hope you'll have fun time while doing this!

I think this is a great idea, especially the word of the day part which I have to say helped me a lot while learning English when I was younger. It's very interesting, at least to me, to learn new words this way as it allows you to really let it sink in throughout the day and it allows for better retention.

As for some advice on what to add, I'd say just giving out your experience would probably help a lot since it would allow people to see the personal side of learning a new language instead of just seeing it from a purely academic point of view, which I think would offer a more unique spin to you site that can separate it from others.

Hi everyone!

I just created a blog (makemeapolyglot.blogspot.com) to help others learn languages and also help myself learn as I reflect upon my language learning methods and also by writing down "Words of the Day" etc.

It would be really helpful if anyone has any tips in how I can make my blog a helpful resource for language learning ^^ Also, if anyone has any experience in using a blog to monitor your own progress, please let me know whether it has been effective for you!

I have not yet looked at your blog so I don't really know its contents. But my two-cents worth of ideas about coming up with any how-to articles or blog is to keep it informative by not only engaging theoretical information but practical applications as well. Since immersion is a great way to learn languages, I think it will be helpful if you come up with videos that are engaging and appealing to your readers. Also, please think of activities that will make your readers or watchers apply what they have learnt or will learn from your blog. Keep it more practical than theoretical please.

Basically, a blog or writing down progress charts in learning helps because records give you an accurate information of your improvement just as school class reports give an overview of how students fare in class. You will know what your weaknesses are and where to improve in.

Congratulations with the blog! Good luck on it too! Keep it going! :-)

I like the point made by a few other members. The ''word of the day'' idea is perfect. It will provide your readers with a more interesting side of language learning. I personally like the academic way of learning a language more than ''the fun way'', as I call it. Whenever I try this one, I fail. I simply like grammar more than vocabulary and such, though I am aware that vocabulary is extremely important as well.

It would be amazing to see your progress. I truly do wonder how much you'll achieve in about a month or so.

Best of luck!

The Japanese Word of the Day is very interesting.  I am currently studying Nihongo every weekend, and I am sure that I will be able to learn more Japanese words.  Your tips in learning a new language are very helpful, especially when you talk to yourself while speaking the language.  It's much helpful if you talk to yourself while living alone.  Some people will think that you are crazy talking to yourself, and they will ask you who are you talking to.  Thanks for this site and am looking forward to reading more of your tips!

just visited your site. as the other members mentioned having a blog to chart your language learning experience or progress is a great idea. with regards to Words of the Day feature, it would be great if you add how to say the word, (especially for the korean and chinese parts).

to add variation on the WoTD feature, what about featuring a single word and how it's said in the other languages.

in any case, great work on starting a blog.

Words of the day are too common and don´t get you very far..    What I would recommend is a ´sentence of the day´ and make sure to include at least 3 different new words..  a noun, a verb and then either an adjective or adverb.  Most ´word of the day´ things end up using a sentence as an illustatration anyway, why not make it a sentences that teachers more than one word.  With 3 words per day, you are talking 1000 words a year, which is a decent vocabulary.

• 3 weeks later...

I have never tried blogging to learn a language; that's a very interesting approach!

I have used Duolingo, Anki, and www.FreakyFastFluency.com, all with decent success. I will have to try out the blogging approach though, I am always up for new ways to study:)

• 2 weeks later...

A blog has worked perfectly for me to improve my writing skills. I believe that the more one writes the better one gets at it. Keep posting on your blog and you will get better in the language. People like fresh content; therefore try to write as much as possible so that they will find new content when they visit.