Linguaholic

IMO Polls #1: how do you learn?

宇崎ちゃん

IMO Polls #1: how do you learn?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What do you concentrate on FIRST when learning a new language?

2. 2. What tools do you use? (Multiple choice!)

• Mobile apps (please specify)
    • PC apps (please specify)
    • Web apps (please specify)
    • Multimedia (audio, video and games)
    • Language exchange partner
    • One-on-one language teacher
    • Language classroom (physical language courses only)
    • Middle school, high school, college or university
    • Pen pal (including chats)
    • Living in the country where the language is (officially) spoken
    • Flash cards (physical or digital)
    • Books

The first time learning a new language is always hard, no matter how you look at it, no matter the language, no matter how hard you try, this is the moment everything seems vague to you.
One of the best things I have noticed at Linguaholic is how diverse people here are when it comes to learning a language.
Everyone here has their own opinion on what is best to use and what not.

That's why I started the first opinion poll on this forum: how do you learn?

What does "IMO" mean?
"In My Opinion".
This is a very commonly used word online to express ones' opinion.

What's the point?
I have seen a lot of topics asking the same question, but I want to centralise this idea in a series of polls.
This way I can easily do a research about how people learn a language.
More polls may follow in the future.
Each poll lasts 2 weeks, so hurry up if you want to participate!

I never learnt any foreign language before, may I join in?
Sure! :)
It's your opinion after all, I'm looking for either new/single language learners, polyglots or even people who don't bother learning a language.
The more different people, the better.

Where can I see the results?
For now, I'll put them on my language blog.
I may as well open a new website just for this (and language tips), so stay tuned.

My results for this poll:
I concentrate mostly on speaking at first.
I believe it's the most fun way of learning a language and it helps you get used to spoken languages early on.

As for the second question, I use mobile apps, web apps, multimedia, one-on-one language teachers, flash cards and pen pals as much as possible throughout the day.
Mobile apps include Memrise, JapanesePod101 (the advanced levels work well enough for me) and Anki (flash cards).
Web apps I'm currently using are Italki and WaniKani.
However, I just started with WaniKani and I'm first trying to get as far as the free version can take me before I decide to pay for it.

REMEMBER: keep it fun!
So no insulting arguments if you disagree with someone else.
Constructive criticism is OK.

I am still trying to learn Spanish fluently.  I haven't had a lot of time.  I learned a little Spanish in middle school.  We only had it for one marking period (a quarter of a school year) for one 45-minute class.  In high school, I took French.  I learned a lot of it.  Sadly, I didn't learn enough to be fluent, and, due to not being able to use it, I got rusty.  I still remember a lot of it, though.  I try to use anything I can to learn.  I pick up phrases here and there in foreign languages.  I tried using watching shows/movies on Netflix that I know well in English (like The Nightmare Before Christmas), but the audio and subtitles didn't match up to each other.  I like to try to translate songs.  I have even read and saved some of those boxes and bottle labels that have directions and warnings listed in different languages.  That has helped me greatly.  My biggest obstacle is time.  I know people always say that's an excuse but for me it really isn't. I have a toddler, I'm training for a new work from home job, and I have no one to babysit her.  Even for an hour or two.  Our only babysitter died from cancer.  When she is older and goes to school, I will be able to have more time for it.

My number 1 option for learning languages is missing here... I mostly learn by myself, with a teach-yourself or even classroom coursebook. Exchange partners, apps, multimedia and everything else is icing on the cake. I still consider a good old paper book with grammar rules my best friend. That, and the mp3 files accompanying it.

My number 1 option for learning languages is missing here... I mostly learn by myself, with a teach-yourself or even classroom coursebook. Exchange partners, apps, multimedia and everything else is icing on the cake. I still consider a good old paper book with grammar rules my best friend. That, and the mp3 files accompanying it.

Sorry, I wonder how I skipped this one.
I've added "Books" to the poll. :)

Sorry, I wonder how I skipped this one.I've added "Books" to the poll. :)

Thanks!

So, I'll sum up my answers: when I start, I don't concentrate on writing but it somehow just happens naturally that writing goes first as it's easier for me.

I mostly use coursebooks and self-learning books. For additional flavours, I regularly "meet" exchange partners on Skype, listen to music, watch films, read fiction books, play computer games and use Tell Me More software on my PC.

There's also the question of "how often". For me, not too often because I have two jobs and a lot of other hobbies. I study with a book one time per week, for each of my languages, same for Skype meetings. I don't have exchange partners for all of my languages though. As for fun activities, like games and music, those are for every day but I tend to stick with one language for a longer time, and then switch to another. Right now I'm listening to Dutch music and playing Spanish casual games. When I get bored, I'll do the same but in other languages.

By the way, thanks for the poll. It's a good idea - I hope more people will answer, I'm really curious to see the results.

I learned my first and second foreign language at high school. First one was English and second one German. I want to the U.S. to learn English properly because the English teacher at my school wasn't a really good teacher. Now I am studying both at university. If I need to learn some vocabulary, I use flash cards - Quizlet. I have many American friends here in Prague where I live so I learn also just by talking to them..:) Generally I think reading books in a foreign language helps a lot! Right now reading 1984 by George Orwell in English!
I started learning Spanish, using Duolingo on my phone! It's great for beginners and those who want to learn by themselves! Definitely recommending it! :)

I don't know why I've never seen this poll until after the layout update. 

Anyway, I am quite traditional I guess. I still rely on classes in a classroom and textbooks to help me study. I try to focus on both spoken and written language, but because I am stronger in writing, I feel like I put more emphasis on it. Even if I can't speak very well, I can usually write and understand.

It doesn't matter Miya, you still have until 22:00 CET today to reply.
After that, this topic will automatically close.

13 minutes ago, linguaholic said:

maybe we could extend this poll? it's such a great poll, really. 

I could, but I decided not to.
After this poll, I wanted to work on the results, present them on my blog and move on to the next IMO poll.

I'm a bit late, but here are the results: http://blog.076.wtf/index.php?mode=post&id=4&lang=en

Have a good night.