Linguaholic

Ease of Learning

XLS

For those who have a mother tongue other than English and have studied other languages as well, which would you say is the hardest? 

Although my native language is Spanish, I learned english at the age of eight and began studying french and german at the age of 15.  Since then I have been on the journey to further develop my french and learn Kre yol and arabic. 

The most distinctive thing that I have found between the languages I mentioned above, in comparison to english, was the arabic alphabet. Maybe it is because all the other languages listed are written mostly the same.  English was so difficult to learn as child regardless of the letters being written just about the same as Spanish,  from the translation, enunciation, pronunciation to communication.   

Recently in teaching my daughter to speak the other languages I realized how difficult English really is. Such a complex language that is used universally.  What is your perspective? 

Dear XLS

I appreciate people starting new threads. However, please use the search function first to make sure that there are no similar threads. We already have quite a few topics about the 'hardest languages to learn'. For instance: