Linguaholic

What are the differences between German and Austrian German?

• 1 month later...

Austria has an own dialect called "Austrian" which is very similar to the dialect "Bavarian". So that's very different from the standart German language: there are words that are called different in German, there are even some grammar differences. But even when speaking standart German Austrians pronounce some things different and most of them have an accent. (So you normally recognize when someone comes from Austria when you're German.)

I don't know if I can post links here, but this video can maybe help you:

Thank you for posting that Sailor Cat.  The video link worked just fine and gave me good perspective and examples that were helpful.  I recognized most of those words too from what I know of Germanic languages and discovered I speak Yiddish with a German accent rather than an Austrian one which was interesting. 

• 4 years later...

Hi,

Austrian German is 1 version of many scores of German versions on the market. I'm sure than within Austria that there are quite a few versions, just because they have been in Germany, Switzerland, Italy and France.

Some claim that Dutch is only a version of German language.

Therefore, your query does not compute. Imagine someone asking"How is Neel Kumar distinct in men of Indian origin residing in Silicon Valley?"

Some anecdotes:
They used to talk with one another in English. Why? Since one had been from East Prussia while another was out of Alsace and, while they spoke"German", they weren't able to know each other whatsoever.

If history had turned out differently, we are talking about a really different pair of languages compared to that which we do now. I heard a man give a two minute presentation of Frankfurt dialect - everything I could grab were the first two words - Guten Tag. Everything was a blur (and in the moment, my German was damned good).

Visit the best German language classes in pune

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By MBelghit
      TEST YOUR GERMAN
      Here you can find out how good your German is: Are you just starting out, are you advanced or already a professional? This test gives you an initial idea of how well you understand written and oral German texts and how good your grammar and vocabulary skills are.
      German learning
      Test and exam examples for training and practice
      TESTEN SIE IHR DEUTSCH
      Hier können Sie herausfinden, wie gut Ihr Deutsch ist: Stehen Sie am Anfang, sind Sie fortgeschritten oder schon Profi? Dieser Test gibt Ihnen eine erste Orientierung, wie gut Sie schriftliche und mündliche deutsche Texte verstehen und wie gut Ihre Grammatik- und Wortschatzkenntnisse schon sind.
      https://allugha.net/test
    • By vitamin.d
      Hi! I'm D, female from the Philippines!  I'm seriously looking for a female language buddy who wants to learn German with me. I think I'm high A1. If you're a beginner no problem. We will share learning references. Write me why and how serious you are of learning this language and of course a little bit about you. You must speak English (you don't have to be fluent) and can make time every week for voice/video chat (for our practice). I'm learning German because it is my dream to do a volunteer year there. My time is just as valuable as yours so please I hope you have a serious reason why you're learning it too.  
    • By Marc Weber
      http://mawercer.de/spell is an early attempt to train spelling in various languages.
      English, German, bengali, and many more coming soon -> write to support to have some added.
      It remembers which words you got right doesn't ask multiple times about the same word.
      You can use it from mobile phone.
      Feedback welcome
    • By Xefjord
      What is Lingodeer?
      Many of you might be familiar with the app called "Duolingo." Lingodeer is very similar, but alongside the same style of gamified lessons that Duolingo provides: Lingodeer offers professionally made grammar notes on every single skill, features full native audio recordings on every word and sentence, has built in grammar review features, has a global leaderboard (And friends leaderboard) for competition, features video stories at the end of every skill, has built in pronunciation practice (Sentence shadowing capabilities), and features 10 languages to learn (with Italian on the way) taught in 13 languages. The app is available on iOS and Android. 

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me (I run their online forums as volunteer work and have followed the app since it was released, I have also completed the first half of Japanese and Korean on the app).
    • By grossfuchs
      Hi, everybody
      For German learners - some video and audio aterials can be found here:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mom0Lq7cF-Y