Linguaholic

What made you interested in learning Chinese language?

I would prefer learning Spanish, Japanese and French first before trying Chinese. I'm not that interested in learning it because I think it's the hardest to learn among common languages in the world. For those who want Chinese as their second or third language, what made you interested about it?

I am in the process of opening an online store and found that I could save tens of thousands of dollars by dealing direct with the manufacturer in China. By knowing the language, I can eliminate that barrier and get my business started sooner with less hassles and no middle men.

I think that despite the economic naysayers, China's economy will be a world leader for many years to come. With this in mind and knowing how Chinese people appreciate attempts to respect their language and culture, a few words of Chinese will do nobody any harm.

Well for me there are several reasons why I want to learn chinese.

First one is pretty obvious, learning a new language is always good because it opens a new world to you; so many new people you can talk to.

In my opinion chinese can also be very important if you need to deal with chinese companies for business purposes, but on the other hand is also a very beautiful language. It kind of feels like reading a story when you look at the different chinese characters/symbols, containing one another and thus creating a new meaning. 

Back in the days (2006), I did my first travel to China. I was all alone and I did not speak a single word. I traveled around and met so many people but I did not have any means to communicate with them. This was the point of no return for me...I had to study Chinese...and I never regret it. It's a very fascinating language with a beautiful and unique writing system.

Moreover, I always liked to study languages. Learning a new language is almost like extending your mind..you can practically dwelf into a new world (of thinking). What's more, studying CHinese is a real challenge and I do like challenges a lot  :karate:

• 2 months later...

I think looking back I was mostly interested in the fact that it was so different than the French or Spanish that I had been learning. Being able to read those characters seemed like such an amazing intellectual challenge to me.

Well, I did it for a number of reasons, first of all the Chinese characters seem like really fun to learn and the language generally sounds like a fun language to speak too. At the same time, I am planning to go and do my masters in China so that's why  :clown:

I probably would have never found out that I had an interest in Chinese had it not been for a six week course I did in school. In my secondary school we had a year that was just dedicated to doing extra- curricular things such as yoga, Putting on a musical, learning Java programming and many other things. Our year was the first year to do a course called "Chinese culture". Now I won't lie, the majority of people in my year though it was really stupid but a couple of people (myself included) though that it was brilliant. That's how I found my interest in Chinese. 

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Chinese at my university's course catalog and though, "Huh... I bet nobody takes that." If you want to distinguish yourself, do things that other people don't do.  I relied on my assumption being true that most people would be intimidated by Chinese and that, by being able to speak it, it would drastically increase my value to a potential employer.  I was right on both counts. 

Fortune favors the bold!

• 4 weeks later...