Linguaholic

Movies and TV shows in Chinese

polybus

I thought I would share this link in case some Chinese learners had not found it yet.

It is a site where you can stream TV shows and movies in Chinese, which is great for listening practice. Sometimes you run into problems with permissions not being in China, but often it is fine. The site is:

http://www.iqiyi.com/

Is this site like youku and tudou? I love streaming Chinese videos on youku and tudou, but I've never heard of iqiyi.

For anyone who has trouble viewing the videos, you can download this chrome plug-in. It allows you to bypass the "This video can only be viewed in China" error when trying to view videos.

Is this site like youku and tudou? I love streaming Chinese videos on youku and tudou, but I've never heard of iqiyi.

For anyone who has trouble viewing the videos, you can download this chrome plug-in. It allows you to bypass the "This video can only be viewed in China" error when trying to view videos.

Yes iqiyi is a lot like youku or tudou. I find that iqiyi had more full movies that I could actually stream though.

Thanks for the Chrome plugin. I didn't know about this.

I don't have any recommendations, but I can give you the link to the horror section on that site:

http://list.iqiyi.com/www/1/1-10---------0--2-1-1-1---.html

They have ratings underneath the titles so you can try the ones with higher ratings. Most of the movies have subtitles.

P.S: For these Chinese streaming sites, there's usually a 15 to 1 minute advertisement in the beginning that can't be skipped.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.gooddrama.net/drama-shows  A Korean friend gave me this streaming site. A bunch of Hongkong,Chinese,Taiwanese,Japanese and Korean. That's where I watch all my Korean and Taiwanese dramas. I found this site is helpful for beginners who still need subtitles.  Among my favorites are:

Fated To Love You

Meteor Garden of course.I watched all three versions from Korean, Japanese and Taiwanese

My Lucky Star is by far my all time favorite. I watched this one TWICE.

Lavender

Magicians of Love

Why Why Love

For Hongkong Dramas,I've watched so many of them when I was younger so I didn't really bother to check it out on the sites since they have newer version. But these two are my favorites in the list

Fly me To Polaris

The Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre

I used to watch them in Mysoju.com but that site got shut down. So my friend gave me this one.

• 2 months later...

Streaming through some of the Chinese video sites such as Youku and Iqiyi has become the most popular online-watching experiences in a lot of countries especially in China. Some of the sites won't allow me to stream videos because it can only be viewed in China due to location restriction and recognition. I only allow to watch Chinese videos only if I download the site software on Windows computer, which I use Mac but not Windows computer. I have found Chinese shows are very entertaining because they have a lot of new Hong Kong and Chinese series.

• 3 weeks later...

^If you use Google Chrome, you can download a free plug-in called "Unblock Youku" which will allow you to view Youku/tudou/other China-based sites without living in China.

^If you use Google Chrome, you can download a free plug-in called "Unblock Youku" which will allow you to view Youku/tudou/other China-based sites without living in China.

Do I really need this kind of thing now? I have always been able to watch all the videos from those platforms without a special plug-in. I guess it depends on the country you are living at. I am living in Switzerland and youku, tudou and so on always worked fine for me. Even PPTV and PPS  :grin:

I think it also depends on what internet company you are with. When I'm at home, I can access tudou/youku/other China-based sites fine. But when I'm at my dorm, I get the error message saying that I can't view a video because I'm not located in China. And it also depends on what you're trying to stream. Some of the old videos work fine, but the newer stuff all require you to live in China.

Since I've installed the plug-in though, I haven't had any troubles.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/6/2013 at 11:15 PM, ashwinr1 said:

Can you suggest some good Chinese movies to watch?

My favorite genre is horror and thriller. Would be great if you suggest some movies in those genres  :laugh:

A Chinese Ghost Story from 1987 is up on YouTube. It's funny, romantic too, with a fair bit of medieval fighting and will keep you quite involved. It's so very riveting! The acting was exceptional for the time and that movie made a few of them very popular thereafter. If you know some things about Taoism and Buddhism and are interested in reincarnation, then this is a must-see. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p336xDjgJzg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Youtube-like sites: 优酷、土豆、爱奇艺 and many others

MOOCs: http://www.icourse163.org/

Downloading TV shows and movies: search "site:pan.baidu.com TITLE" on Google.com

Trending movies and TV series in China: https://movie.douban.com/

• 4 months later...