Linguaholic

How good are you at recognizing languages?

Czarownica

My university's Facebook page has just posted this link:

http://greatlanguagegame.com/

You listen to a short audio clip in some language and then you have to choose which language it was. Pretty fun :P The first language I got was Polish, so it wasn't too difficult :P But then it got a bit more tough :P

Guest akasha24

I have learned a lot of languages, so I am fairly good at recognizing languages by listening to them. Maximum if I have never heard a certain language, then I probably wouldn't be able to recognize it :)

I'm gonna close it tomorrow, no worries. People are starting to post stuff that has already been discussed in different threads....but that's also a good sign as it shows that linguaholic.com grows fast and is getting bigger and bigger  :grin:

I just tried the game, it was pretty fun, I got a score of 500 (much better than what I thought I would get). I think I'm in the middle when it comes to recognizing languages. The languages that I've heard people speak in, will usually be the ones that I can recognize. Languages that I have never heard before, will definitely be the hardest to recognize.

I'm honestly not great. I can recognize Japanese and Spanish, but that is because I am familiar with them. I can also recognize italian and portuguese because they are similar to spanish. Anything else though, and I am taking a blind guess.

I am good at recognizing languages, as long as they are generally spoken in Europe. Once it comes to countries spoken in Latin American or Asian countries, Africa or Island nations... I am hopeless! That has to do with my exposure to those languages and my upbringing, however.

• 6 months later...

I doubt I would do very well at identifying many different languages. I would have to listen for basic words from those that I am a bit familiar with but those that I am not, would be very much harder for me.

I think I could recognize most of the prominent languages fairly well, but I'd probably have trouble distinguishing between the similar ones like for example, Spanish in Puerto Rico or Spain compared to Mexico or any of the similar European languages as well.