Linguaholic

Which Language Is The Least Appealing To You?

Baburra

I know this topic sounds bad, but it's only according to individual opinion and taste, and not really a personal attack on any language/countrymen, so hopefully people won't take it personally if their language gets called out in this thread.

Personally, I don't like the sound of the Cantonese language.

Unfortunately, Chinese to me is not only incredibly difficult to learn and reproduce the correct enunciation, but it doesn't sound very pleasing to the ear. I believe I read that if you said their word for "chopsticks" in a different tone, you could accidentally be saying the word "bridge." However, I still appreciate the Kanji. I plan on learning Japanese and I would like to know some of the original Chinese meanings for the Kanji.

Another difficult contender is Russian, for many reasons. But if I could choose one reason...

apfIH.jpg

russian_cursive.jpg

I would have said Russian as well.  It seems it is harsh sounding and I am not sure what the emotion is behind it.  It seems it all has this very harsh sound and then my friend will laugh, even though it sounded so angry.  As to the cursive above, I never even saw that before.  I agree, it would make cry to try and decipher any of that.

I think Vietnamese is the language that's least appealing to me. I don't like the sound of Vietnamese because it is strange to hear people speak the language. Another reason is that Vietnamese sounds like people are yelling to each other. The tone isn't as natural as other languages.

I would say that there are several languages that are not appealing to me because speaking them could be possible, but writing them should be rathear hard using our occidental-based keyboards.

So that, any language that requires non-standard characters is in my list including Greek, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, etc. etc.

Even though, I like how Russian sounds.

I believe I read that if you said their word for "chopsticks" in a different tone, you could accidentally be saying the word "bridge."

You're mixing up Chinese and Japanese. It's the Japanese that pronounces "bridge" and "chopsticks" the same.

Japanese:

橋 (はし)- "Hashi" = Bridge

箸 (はし)- "Hashi" = Chopsticks

Chinese:

橋 (Qiáo) - Bridge

筷子 (Kuàizi) - Chopsticks

Guest akasha24

I have to say that the least appealing languages to me are the following:

Russian

Dutch

Chinese

Japanese

German

I really don't like the sound of these languages. Some of them are too weird for my ears and some of them are just plain aggressive. 

Definitely French. I can't really put my finger on what it is exactly, but it just makes me cringe everytime I hear it. Probably partly because it sounds so nasal.

Danish I don't find ugly or unappealing in the way French is, but it sounds pretty funny.

Chinese especially Mandarin is not appealing to me. It sounds very harsh and angry. I can see how it would be beneficial to learn considering China's rising influence.

I also don't like the sound of French. It sounds very guttural. It's supposed to be a romantic language, but it sounds rough to my ears.

• 6 months later...

The only unappealing language I can think of right now is French Creole. When used by its natives it sounds very loud and confusing. It could either be because of their accent or the language itself but i am just not liking it.

I would say I would have much difficulty learning the German language as well as Russian. The accent too is far different from English, my second language. German and Russian sound authoritative and strong to me in my own opinion. :smile: