Linguaholic

Most useless foreign language you've learned?

Tayzach24

Judging from what I use daily, and when I think about what I might need in the future, I have to agree with you and say French was the most useless language I learned. I never needed it unless I was in France itself, which doesn't happen often. Even Latin I've found much more useful.

I have never visited France or the parts of Canada where French is spoken and have absolutely no intention of visiting those places ever in my life. Come to think of it, since it's only France, a small part of Switzerland and parts of Canada where French is spoken I now realize that I wasted my time trying to learn French.

I learn some Esperanto back in the day... I must say this is so far one of the most useless languages I've learn so far, because it seems no one even speaks it even more.  Some years ago there was like a frenzy, and a lot web sites and organizations were trying to make of esperanto an international languaqge, but that never worked and here we are!  Stuck with an invented language that is dying...

It's sad when things don't turn out the way they should, isn't it?

I learned Japanese when I was in high school. I think it's useless because I won't go to Japan or make friends who are Japanese. Moreover, I can't seem to find the people who speak Japanese so I can practice the language. I think learning Japanese was waste of time for me because I don't really need it.

Fortunately, I have never learned a useless language.

A lot of people, though, complain about learning French in high school and never using it.

It's just one of those languages that won't help you in America because people within this community tend to focus on English when residing in the U.S.

Mine would definitely have to be the English Language. Being born in the Philippines, our native language is Filipino and English being the Universal Language, it was, and still is a huge advantage to speak good English. Right now I'm learning a third language, Spanish, which is arguably, the 3rd most spoken language in the world.

Bengali is probably the most useless one I've learned. However I have dabbled in some pretty useless ones like Armenian, Azeri, Tibetan, Assamese, Telugu, Malayalam, Marathi and Tajik :P People tell me Hindi is useless but I will argue otherwise.  :tongue: