Linguaholic

When has learning another language come in handy for you?

Alrikidokie

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I have unconsciously and unintentionally learned English because English is widely spoken in the Philippines anyway, so it's kind of like considered as a "2nd mother tongue" in my country. But even if that's the case here, I know some people who can't be fluent in English despite the wide exposure to the language. Some even can't understand English, usually those are the people that live in the slums. So in a way, yes I feel empowered because I'm one of the "lucky ones" who are able to have a good and fluent grasp of the language.

Living in Los Angeles and learning Spanish in HS has helped me out a lot. It helped me get hired in college and after college because so many people speak Spanish here. It has also helped me order food and get directions when I am lost.

• 2 weeks later...

Learning a second language was vital to me due to sentimental reasons wanting to send a letter to my favorite singer when I was still a kid, but today my second language is all to me!

My work relies 99% on my second language and 90% or all my friends speak this language too, hence I use more my second language throughout the day than my own mother tongue, really!

We learn our second language English early on during our preschool days here in our country and we are quite exposed to the language and the Western culture itself. Learning English has come in handy for me especially now that both my professions of being an English Instructor and a Professional Writer entails me to use the language everyday.:) Many opportunities have been out in the open as well chances for career growth when you are fluent in another language especially English which is the universal language.

Knowing a second language comes with too many perks to list in a massive globalized world. I've been able to communicate with native speakers much more easily, which may open doors and opportunities. Knowing a second language simply screams education, it raises admiration in people towards you, it's a good financial and practical investment in short. In day to day life simply being able to understand a thing or two from a foreign television show, or be able to read the descriptions of imported products has made my life easier.

We all talk about why we want to learn another language and the process of learning another language but I'm curious to know what your first time actually using your second language was like? Did you feel empowered at all?

I just started learning my second language,for surprising us the teacher bought in a visitor to talk with us. This is the first time I actually spoke to someone using a different language other than English. Yes I feel empowered to do this, cause I was the one who was selected to have a conversation in Spanish with the visitor.

Learning and knowing a little Spanish has become beneficial to me in my everyday life. Living in Washington, DC, specifically in a Hispanic area, it's almost a requirement to know Spanish. Most times they do not know English. I've had to respond several times in their language and it made me feel really great!

I learned English when I was in elementary school, which was my second language. It has helped me a lot because I came to the United States where English is the primary language. I think English is very useful because I am able to communicate with other people who speak the language. Learning English has been very beneficial for me in the long run.