Linguaholic

Too late to move abroad to learn language?

Jthi97

Hello, people. This is my first post on this forum. Please bear with me; I am currently 21 years old and from Norway. I have had German in school for a total of 6 years, and I am way above the expected level. I have already passed both a C1-course from the Goethe-Institute as well as a DSH-test from a German university with the grade of DSH-3 (top grade). Now my ''problem'' is the following; I really want to study medicine. And I really want to study medicine in Germany. I have quite good grades from High School, but I still need to add a few subjects to be able to apply for Medical School in Germany. So I have decided to enlist in the norwegian army. This enlistment will allow me to pursue the subjects I need, BUT; and this is basically the whole point of the thread; I wont be able to start medical school and thus move to Germany before after five years (Which means I'll be 26-27 when I move there). This petrifies me, as I am afraid that I won't have the same ability to learn German and properly immerse at that age as opposed to now. I really like Germany, so I would seriously consider to stay there , but I would like to learn the language as good and fluent/perfect as possible. Is this even possible at that age?

I am not looking for motivational ''you can do ANYTHING!! :)'' kind of speeches, but more objective answers from experiemantal and/or''scientific'' points of view; please be realistic. And of course - in situations of uncertainty, like these, nothing is better than a story of success! 

Thank you in advance!