Linguaholic

A translation section?

scottman

I think he meant a more specific translation section, oriented towards a sort of exchange of favours mechanism, not simply discussion about translation. But I agree that the existing sub-forum should sufice - all you have to do, Scottman, is open a dedicated topic there! Cheers!

Yes I think it is a good idea to just post your message on the translation section. There are many helpful members on this forum! Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I do need some translation support. I would probably go to the translation section, right?

If you need help with a translation, just make a post in the translation section of the target language. I am sure some members will be happy to help you!

• 10 months later...

There's a warning about this topic not being posted in for at least 120 days, hehe. But I'll just reply anyway as for some reason I'm taking what the first poster said differently. I recognize that there is already a Translation section in the forum and that the person may just post in that section by starting a thread if he wish to get help with some translations. Is it possible to take a look at it from the perspective of someone who's not yet very well verse in the English language? That is, there are comments that are very lengthy and thorough that those may intimidate those that are not confident with English yet, or if not confident but wants to make sure that he understands what's being said in the comments thus would want the option to look at comments and be translated in his native tongue? (just to ensure comprehension of ideas presented is right, and thus, be able to reply accordingly?)

Well of course, it is very possible for the user to go hit google translate and any other site, but the intention is to make the user stick here and thus help the forum grow more.

Am I making sense? hehe...

Hey Takibari

I am not sure if I get your point takibari. Could you please reformulate your suggestion/wish in one or two sentences? That would be nice. Thank you  :grin:

Sorry. I've been told I've the tendency to not make myself clear, hehe...

A separate section for the sole purpose of helping people translate would be nice.

Was referring to the original post (above).

Perhaps, a translation box somewhere in the page, where members have the option to copy-paste a certain comment into the translation box.

(incorporating a translation tool within the page of the forum or something?) That way, members need not leave linguaholic to find translation of a certain comment they might find difficult to understand.(I was thinking along the lines of some members might not be interacting enough for fear they are misunderstanding a comment, esp. a lengthy one. Thus, requiring a translation tool.)

Although, I just realized all members here might be well-versed in the English language. Thus, having such translation tool may be irrelevant.(sorry, thinking aloud and lengthy, again^^)

• 1 year later...
On 11/20/2014, 8:24:31, takibari said:

Perhaps, a translation box somewhere in the page, where members have the option to copy-paste a certain comment into the translation box.

I recommend using google translate. You can either translate the whole web page, or just some specific text.

On 21.11.2014, 05:24:31, takibari said:

Sorry. I've been told I've the tendency to not make myself clear, hehe...

Was referring to the original post (above).

(incorporating a translation tool within the page of the forum or something?) That way, members need not leave linguaholic to find translation of a certain comment they might find difficult to understand.(I was thinking along the lines of some members might not be interacting enough for fear they are misunderstanding a comment, esp. a lengthy one. Thus, requiring a translation tool.)

Although, I just realized all members here might be well-versed in the English language. Thus, having such translation tool may be irrelevant.(sorry, thinking aloud and lengthy, again^^)

I get your point now. That would be nice, I agree. However, I don't know how I could actually implement this. My bad. :(

2 hours ago, linguaholic said:

I get your point now. That would be nice, I agree. However, I don't know how I could actually implement this. My bad. :(

It used to be possible, but now you have to pay Google for using their API.
You could instead use Bing Translator API, which is still free and less accurate than Google.

It's possible to do it, but I think it'll be too much work for something you can easily do with Google Translate or Bing Translator directly.

On 26/12/2015, 11:10:53, Wanda Kaishin said:

I recommend using google translate. You can either translate the whole web page, or just some specific text.

Yes, I get that there's always google translate and I recognize that it will require a lot of work and perhaps some funding, too. When I made the suggestion, I was thinking along the lines of keeping people on the site. My former boss, when he developed programs, his main requirement was always for developers to think of ways to make people 'stay' on the page. I don't know about program-speak or developer-speak, but his idea is hinged on making people stick to the site, and not just bounce off.

On 26/12/2015, 5:27:02, linguaholic said:

No problem. I probably wasn't thinking clearly at that time, too, haha. But I'm positive when I made the comment, I was thinking about my former boss's instructions to our developers then. Anyhow, no biggie. I appreciate the consideration.