Have you tried Duolingo?

deathbyprayer

Vote  

1. 1. Vote

• so-so
    • good
    • very good
    • excellent

I came across this site the other day and I have to say it's pretty sweet. Think of it as a free version of Rosetta Stone. I tried it once and I love it, it even has an app so you can study on the go. If you're looking for a language trainer then you should try Duolingo out.

Many of us use Duolingo to learn new languages! I am currently practicing French with the mobile app! If you want to meet more people that use the app and discuss it's features, you shold check this forum thread: http://linguaholic.com/language-study-apps/duolingo-2971/

I got introduced to this from one of the professors on my course, since we were studying ways that the internet has been used to help society, and this was one of his examples. It's made by the same team that came up with the captcha system, which acts as a means of verification and helps translate print media to computerized media. So, every time you're entering a captcha, you're helping to digitize all of our old books and such, to ensure that they don't ever disappear from history!

I have tried Duolingo and I think it is a great website especially for beginners. However, once I started getting past that beginner level, the site became less and less helpful. I would advise anyone just starting to learn a new language to check it out. I was extremely helpful to me.

I have tried Duolingo and I think it is a great website especially for beginners. However, once I started getting past that beginner level, the site became less and less helpful. I would advise anyone just starting to learn a new language to check it out. I was extremely helpful to me.

Well thank you for the information, I have never used it, I am going to check it out, since I would love to begin learning Chinese,I hope it is as useful as you say it is.

Yes I have and it's really great. For a free service I say it's top notch. That site (and app) has helped me perfect my French past la plume de ma tante. I really recommend you check it out, if you're not hooked on your first try then you can call me a liar. I think hat service is better than Rosseta Stone. 

Wow, so you're saying it's only great for beginners trying to learn a new language? I've started using it just the other week and I have to say I really like it. Maybe I'll have to see it for myself. 

Yes, I too have tried Duolingo. And I too agree that it is great for beginners.

I was learning French using their Android application. What I liked about it is that it taught me French through questions and not by just pure memorization. This way I better remember the words at every stage. And what is great about Duolingo is that they integrate the words you have previously learned to the new word they are teaching you. This way they could check if you recall previously taught words and if you have retained the knowledge.

Also, the application has great User Interface.

Lastly, it is free!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I too have tried Duolingo. And I too agree that it is great for beginners.

I was learning French using their Android application. What I liked about it is that it taught me French through questions and not by just pure memorization. This way I better remember the words at every stage. And what is great about Duolingo is that they integrate the words you have previously learned to the new word they are teaching you. This way they could check if you recall previously taught words and if you have retained the knowledge.

Also, the application has great User Interface.

Lastly, it is free!

Yup the app was great indeed. My only complain about it is that you have to have a connection to the internet before you can load it up.

Yup the app was great indeed. My only complain about it is that you have to have a connection to the internet before you can load it up.

You need internet connection to use it the first time, but there's a feature that it loads up to 5 lessons, so you can train even without internet connection. At least it was like this the last time I used it, I've been pretty lazy with my language studies :P

You need internet connection to use it the first time, but there's a feature that it loads up to 5 lessons, so you can train even without internet connection. At least it was like this the last time I used it, I've been pretty lazy with my language studies :P

Yeah for the start up you need it, but sometimes it also requires me to connect to the internet. But I think it would be great if they release a stand alone app already preloaded with all the lessons. It would make the app size a bit larger but at least you don't have to use data.

I have used Duolingo before and I have to say among all the free language teaching apps out there, it's one of the best if not the best. But the thing that bugs me with it is that it only helps you get started with the language and after a certain extent you have to go study the advance lesson yourself.

I use Duolingo to learn French and I think it is fantastic. I like how it is like a game and if you lose lives you have to start again as it will then keep asking you the words or phrases that you are not so good on which Is great for learning. It is brilliant that it is free as well. I have tried to learn languages other ways but Duolingo has always been the best for me, I would definitely recommend it.

I think it's a great way to get to know the basic of a language. Once you reach a level above the beginner stage, it becomes much less helpful. But since you know the basics by that time, you might as well go to your local library and rent a book on that language and start improving on your education. i would recommend it to anyone who wants to learn a language but has a hard time getting started. It's a shame it only offers 5 languages, though.

You can actually learn 8 different languages with Duolingo! English, Italian, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Danish, Dutch and Irish. They are currently developing Hungarian, Turkish, Swedish, Russian, Polish and Romanian.

This is more than enough to make you a polyglot if you go through all of the available courses!

I have tried Duolingo and I think it is a great website especially for beginners. However, once I started getting past that beginner level, the site became less and less helpful. I would advise anyone just starting to learn a new language to check it out. It was extremely helpful to me.

^This

I took a placement test for Spanish since I already took it during school and I had already completed nearly the entire course. It brought me almost to the end! And I don't even think I know Spanish all that well.

I found Duolingo through Facebook, surprisingly. One of my friends shared his status about "Leveling up" in a language and it certainly raised a few questions with me.

I clicked it and it brought me to a screen that said "Which language do you want to learn?" with a drop down menu.

All of the languages I wanted to learn were there, so I kept at it! As a beginner, it helped me so much with my French and Dutch. Learning them at the same time also provides for a fun challenge, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Never tried it personally but I've heard good things about it. Might give it a shot in a couple of weeks. I just need a little bit more time to dedicate to it so I know whether it's worth it or not. But from the reviews here it does seem like it's a good use of time.