Linguaholic

Hello everyone!

I’ve been writing a story that takes place in Japan, the main character is called “Mira” which means “stubborn” and her grandma is called “Hanako” which means “flower child” (please correct me if I’m wrong in any way). 

I’ve been struggling with the honorifics I should use. 

I think I’ve figured out that the grandma should call her granddaughter “Mira-chan” but I still can’t figure out how the girl should call her grandma. Is it “ōbasan”? Only “Bā”? “Hanako Bā”? I’d like the name “ Hanako” to be present when the girl is calling her grandma, is it possible without being too formal? 

Thank you!!

21 hours ago, Liljay said:

the main character is called “Mira” which means “stubborn”

Mira actually means "mirror", not "stubborn".

her grandma is called “Hanako” which means “flower child”

Yep.

I still can’t figure out how the girl should call her grandma. Is it “ōbasan”? Only “Bā”? “Hanako Bā”?

Own grandchildren call their grandmothers "baa-chan"(ばあちゃん).
If people are describing somebody elses grandma, "obaa-san"(おばあさん)is used, or simply "Hanako-san"(花子さん or 華子さん).
In general, おばあさん is used by friends (insiders), or by people who don't know her name.
And 花子さん or 華子さん is used by strangers (outsiders) in formal setting (hospital, university, wedding, etc.).
In business situations, 花子様 or 華子様(Hanako-sama)is used.

Just "baa" alone is never used at all.
And "oobasan" and "Hanako baa" simply don't exist.

I’d like the name “ Hanako” to be present when the girl is calling her grandma, is it possible without being too formal? 

In that case, simply "Hanako" without suffix is OK.
However, keep in mind that it's very rare for children to say the name of their own grandmothers.

Also, if the story isn't in Japanese, it's perfectly find to just say "grandma".
This is what localisation of all sorts of stories are doing too.

Thank you so much!! I didn't find any clear informations online about that and your explanation couldn't be any clearer!!!

I should definitly change the name of Mira then hehe I really don't want to call her mirror.

Thanks again! You were a big help!

1 hour ago, Liljay said:

I should definitly change the name

"Mira" is quite a common name for fictional characters.
In fiction (comics, anime, drama, novels, games, etc.) you have more freedoms in giving names than in real life.

There are real life Japanese people with a hiragana or katakana name, but society might think that you're a foreigner if you don't use kanji, and in some occations it might cause problems.
And there's a list of forbidden names which I had the link to, but apparenly can't find it back now.
This ban of course doesn't apply to fictional characters.

Like when I had to sign up at the gas and electricity company, despite allowing all nationalities in, their application form only accepted names in kanji.
And since a west European foreigner doesn't have a kanji name, I had to make up a typical Japanese name for myself, which I ended up liking so much that I registered it as my official alias at the city hall (so now I can use it to officially identify myself throughout Japan).

The reason I'm saying that is because "Mira" is always spelled in katakana.
For example Mira Tanaka → 田中ミラ

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By jalee.brera
      HI there! 
      I am starting my new business - I make nice fine woman clothes - and I would like to sell on the internet. I am making my new brand, which is my name, and I would like a tagline more creative than "hand crafted in Italy". 
      I used to put "abiti per vivere" in italian, but does the literal translation in English, "Dress to Live", make sense?

Thank you everybody... if you may gift me of some help.   :-)

Cheers :-) !

• By InvisiBella
      Hi! I'm looking for a book with as many Japanese stories in it as I can find. I don't know how to look it up properly; every time I've tried it doesn't show what I'm looking for. I want it to be a book at least an inch thick, like how some authors will compile a bunch of folks stories and legends together in different cultures, but I want it to be Japan-focused. I want it written in Japanese, so I can familiarize myself with all the history and mythology. I also want it to have more literal translations, if possible. I really want to work on my kanji retention and learn more about Japan this way. Please help me! All suggestions are appreciated!!
    • By Mikala
      Hola no sé si debo escribir en español o ingles pero espero poder encontrar alguien en linea que sabe espanol. Es duro conocer personas que hablar la idioma en mi locacion. Si hay es alguien que quiere ayudar, por favor me informa.
      Lo siento si mi español es terriblé.
    • By Pauli2334
      Hey! I am beginner, I started to learn german a month ago. Recently I signed up on this website because I wanted to find a place where I could check the correctness of my german sentences I don't have any native speaker in my surroundings so I thought that German forum would be a good place for supporting that. I am learning vocabulary by using words in the sentences, but I know that I will have struggle with the correctness of those sentences.
      Thank you for any help
      If you have an idea where can I find a better place or better way for that, you can give me an advice : ) 
      Sentences:
      Micheal hat sehr gut Stimme, Er war überrascht wann habe als ich ihm das gesagt. Brot und Fleisch kaufe Ich Im Supermarkt gleich. Sie sieht nicht wie eine erfahrene Polizistin aus. (She doesn't look like an experienced policewoman) Ich liebe reiden mit meine freunde. Neugierig Mann - Das ist der Person welche ist wichtig in den kreativ Arbeit. Diese Gegend ist sehr leer! Dort mussen sein keine Mensch. Die Hektik ist nicht gut für dein Leben! Du hast leer in dein Kopf. Sie ist bleich, weil ihre Katze ist tot! Die Person mit null Durchsetzungsvermögen immer nickt, weil sie über alles einig.
    • By tungqoo123
      Here, I want to recommend a good Android App to learn and memorize Japanese vocabulary.
      Japanese Vocabulary (N1~N5)
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digi.japanesevocabulary&hl=en
      I found that it contains many vocabulary (cover JLPT N5 up to N1) with awesome text UI, and pronunciation is supported.
      The mini game inside the app also helps me in memorizing the newly learned vocabulary.
      No additional money is needed. All the content are completely free!!!

Please try it if you are free.