Linguaholic

What kind of dictionaries do you prefer?

Dora M

I can't believe my luck. Today I came across a visual dictionary in a book shop and had to buy it immediately. I can't imagine a better way for myself to remember new words than to have an image right next to them. It makes a big difference to me.

How about you? How do you best remember new words? What kind of dictionaries do you use?

I do have a Websters visual dictionary which is the size of an encyclopedia volume. I guess that's the only way pictures could be included. I don't mind using it but it only gets used when the other dictionaries aren't helpful enough.

There is a shop in my town selling basic dictionaries with pictures showing the meaning of each words. I bought one of the dictionaries as a gift to my youngest brother last year and it has actually improved his interest and understanding in English.

That is my favourite kind of dictionary and I'm planning to get another one for my daughter soon.

We have at home an old two volume Lexicon Webster's Dictionary that's full of text only. :bored:  But we rarely use it as a reference.  Only when our internet connection is down and my kids really need to finish an assignment.  :grin:

I prefer dictionaries that give you examples on how to use the word (so usually they'll have a sentence with the word being used), sometimes they may also have it so that there are synonyms of the word next to it. I think these are the most helpful ones as usually I know exactly what the word is in English.

I only have those thick dictionaries with a few instances of images/pictures/sketches being associated with some words, but aside from that, I've been used to those thick volumes with a lot of words. This is mostly what I've been using when I have to use the dictionary for personal purposes. For professional purposes, though, and if there isn't a big one available, I always make sure I have a portable version and an app on my phone, just to be safe.

I guess that a visual dictionary might be helpful if we are studying a language, but for translations for example nothing like using an online dictionary, it can cut down the time of looking for a specific word lots of times and we do the job way faster.

I never even considered the possibility that there would be visual dictionaries out there... Seriously.

I'm really just used to "regular" dictionaries, and having pictures/visuals feels a bit like adding extra space for no real purpose. (Instead of making it an encycopedia filled with words and pictures, that size could be used to include more words, instead of pictures!)

Oh well, I don't really know if I "prefer" regular dictionaries or not. I mostly use the internet for looking up words, as I'm not really fond of physical dictionaries. They cost money, you know.

Wow, I have only ever used the text only dictionaries and honestly, they just sometimes make remembering some things harder for me...at least at first. 

I am going to have to try these visual language dictionaries. I think that would make it so much easier to learn a language! Hmm...wondering if I can get these sort of dictionaries for any kind of language? Would be really nice if I could get these sort of dictionaries with spelling done in the actual language, and then a picture and then pronunciation of the word. That would be extremely helpful in learning a dead language as well as modern languages.  :smile:

I've never tried the visual dictonaries, looks like I need to! They seem to be pretty helpful :) I actually haven't bought a dictionary in a long time, I use google translate, which isn't always the best.

A visual dictionary is a good idea.  On the other hand, I also like those really small dictionaries so that they are easy to carry and I can just bring it anywhere and read through it each time I have extra time. For example, if I'm waiting in line in a restaurant, instead of just standing there doing nothing, I can quickly look into my dictionary and actually learn new words.  It's a good way not to waste the time that's available to you.

I also don't like extremely thick and big dictionaries because that can be very overwhelming.  It can demotivate me to learn little by little because I would see clearly that there are still a lot of other words to learn and I'm so lagging behind.

I like the ones that could translate accurately and also with grammar suggestions. I always have a pocket one if I go traveling. I also love if they have the slangs or street versions of the words. That always helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I really do not want to buy books anymore of any kind, because I see them as "clutter" nowadays ever since ebooks became popular, so I would have to say that I will stick to the reading material that has less pages, so it's traditional dictionaries for me.

Yeah, if you need to carry them to classes, visual dictionaries can be a (literally) a pain in the back. If at home, though, nothing beats a good collegiate dictionary. For everything else there's the Internet.

I use online dictionaries, I am too lazy to search in a book. It is to tiring to look for a word in a book, and it could be very disappointing when you won't find the word you are looking for. I haven't tried dictionaries with pictures, but it seems like a good idea to learn.

I like to use online dictionaries, but I also have an app that helps me find words on my mobile.  It's way more useful than the PC or an electronic dictionary, because I can check several sources at the same time.  Quite handy.  I was given a paperback dictionary, but I rarely use it to be honest.  I just don't feel like picking it up and using it. 

If i need to find a word and I'm at home I just do it online.  That's simple :)

I prefer dictionaries that includes the synonym and antonym of the word as well as a sample sentence on how to use it. If the dictionary is in the form of app like say for a smartphone or tablet, I'll definitely choose those that have an option to hear how the word is pronounced.

I can basically use any dictionary. I just feel that as long as it has a meaning and maybe a synonym with the word, then I should be able to understand it. When it comes to learning a new language by using a dictionary, I think that having synonyms and the meaning are the most important things. Also, it should obviously state whether its a verb, adjective, or a noun. But for the most part, I think that a simple dictionary is usually effective enough.